Athlon 64FX

Hi Group,

I'm in the process of building some new CAD machines. These will be Athlon

64FX's for the singles, and Opteron 248's for the duals.

Does anyone have any MB recommendations ? Most of the stuff out there is still pretty new (makes me kinda nervous). There seems to be two chipsets available, N-force, and AMD. Does anyone know the advantages/disadvantages of either of these ?

TIA

Mark

Reply to
MM

The tyan mother boards are rock solid. No blue screen or hang ups of any kind so far.

Reply to
Todd Anderson

I went with a Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 mb. The chipset in this scored a little faster than the n-forces in the reviews I read.

It's been very good. No lockups except for the occasional SW lockup.

Jay

advantages/disadvantages

Reply to
Jay Guthrie

I swear by MSI for single workstations but they don't have a dual Opteron with an AGP slot, as the dual Opteron is targeted for server use.

My preference, considering performance, reliability, features, etc. would be:

MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, & Tyan in that order.

Go to

they carry them all.

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

Oops, I forgot about the dual Opteron MSI "K8T Master2-FAR" at $207 from newegg.com. The reason I passed over this is because it doesn't have any

64bit pci slots which I required for my new dual Opteron server, but it does have AGP8x and all the rest. I would HIGHLY recommend it for a dually workstation, which I may add to the office arsenal later this year. I run MSI all the way :)

- Eddy

advantages/disadvantages

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

Thanks Eddy,

That board was on my short list.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark M

Hi I've just had a twin opteron built on the Tyan Thunder K8W board - seemed to have rave reviews and the guys I use seem to trust those boards for their servers without any complaints - it's essentially a server board with AGP support (no USB2 though - weird!). I haven't set it up yet with solidworks, but will have a play over the weekend - If I get time, I'll run some benchmarks and the ship in a bottle thing - I'm dying to see how fast these Opterons run Solidworks and Maya. Cheers Deri

Reply to
Deri Jones

Reply to
kellnerp

Paul,

I also run Mastercam, and many of the toolpaths I generate are very complex. My computer becomes next to useless while MC is crunching. Duals allows me to assign a processor to MC, and allow it to run in the background while I continue with other work.

Regards

Mark

advantages/disadvantages

Reply to
MM

Reply to
kellnerp

Paul,

Yea.. I suppose. But nowhere near as fast.

Extra time is something I don't have.

Regards

Mark

Reply to