background image...

Is it possible to change the gray background image that has the raised SolidWorks logo on it? Just curious - Thought it'd be kind of cool to have my company logo there instead. I know you don't look at it often as dwgs and models are open except when you start up, but........as my wife says - children must play! :)

Scott

Reply to
Scott MacIntyre

I have asked SW about that in the past and was told it's hardcoded. So, the answer on the surface is No. However, it must be controlled by a dll file somewhere, and that somewhere is unknown to me,

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Search the google for "DLL resource editor", there are lots of them available. I have once tried to change the background image, it is in one of the dll's. Altough I don't recommend to hack the DLL's it is indeed rather interesting to peek inside them...

-h-

Reply to
Hegel Carrollson

Kind of had the feeling it was going to be something like that since it wasn't an option and didn't have a outside reference file. Maybe it's just as well.....At my last place the accounting department used a program called SBT, which did the same type of logo/background, except it was a jpeg reference. The Engineering department would find it fun on occasion to change the jpeg file so it would splash something, less then "correct" on their screens during start up...Luckily, they never found out who was doing it. ;)

Scott

Reply to
Scott MacIntyre

You could use your company logo as the background of modeled part or an assembly.

You can import a TIFF image and use it as a background of a part or assembly.

The SolidWorks application does not support LZW format compression for TIFF files.

To import a TIFF file:

1.. In a part or assembly document, click Insert, Customize Menu, and select Picture to activate this menu item. 2.. Click Insert, Picture. 3.. In the Open dialog box, browse to the desired file, and click Open.

The selected file opens as a background image of your part or assembly.

You can import RGB Full Color and Black & White (Bilevel) images, and you can also import Grayscale and Palette images from other systems.

To turn the display of the TIFF image on or off:

1.. Click View, Display, Customize Menu, and select Picture to activate this menu item. 2.. Click View, Display, Picture.

When the Picture option is selected, the image is displayed; when the Picture option is cleared, the image is hidden.

To delete a TIFF image from a document:

1.. Click View, Modify, Customize Menu, and select Picture to activate this menu item. 2.. Click View, Modify, Picture, Delete.

To replace one TIFF image with another:

1.. Click View, Modify, Customize Menu, and select Picture to activate this menu item. 2.. Click View, Modify, Picture, Replace. 3.. In the Open dialog box, browse to the TIFF file that you want to use as a replacement, and click Open.

Reply to
Richard Charney

It is hardcoded, but it is actually pretty easy to do, as well as the initial splash screen. You do have to redo this every upgrade it is part of a resource file. I use reshack to open the file with all of its graphics (and I mean every graphic file used in solidworks is in this file) and simply change the file. This is language specific. BE VERY CAREFUL though and keep backups of this DLL file. It is kind of fun to play with it though. I really don't think that this is supported though......

check out ../lang/english/sldresu.dll

Scott Mac> Is it possible to change the gray background image that has the raised

Reply to
Matt Feider