Alternate position annotation - SW2005 SP0.1

SW2005 SP0.1

It appears that if you have a drawing view with an alternate position in it, any annotations that are tied only to that alternate position model don't stay visible. Try this.

  1. Open a drawing with an assy in it.
  2. Insert an alternate position into that view.
  3. Add a dimension that goes between the regular position and the alternate position. Works fine.
  4. Now add a dimension that is only touching the alternate geometry. The dimension can be placed, moved, etc, but then it disappears, only to reappear when the cursor is passed over it.
  5. Try a balloon - same thing.
  6. Try a note - same thing. Now add another leader to the note that touches the regular position geometry - now it stays visible.

My first thought was that this was a video card/driver issue on that machine, but the that machine is running a 900XGL card, and I am running a FireGL.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Oh, by the way, SW2004 SP5.0 appears to work properly.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Why would you dimension to an alternate position view other than to show its position?

Reply to
P.

One reason is that maybe the alternate position isn't as cluttered due to its moved position. When in that position, an item might then be exposed.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Why would you want a CAD system that can't do this? What if you want to show a dim between the views? For example, a travel range distance of a cyclinder.

Reply to
Beta Monkey

Wouldn't it also come under the rule of not dimensioning hidden lines? Is it an assembly related dimension?

Reply to
P.

In this case, that does work, and that's why this was probably undiscovered for so long. Any annotation that also touches the "real" graphics works ok. Only those that are exclusively on the "alternate" geometry have the problem.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Not quite sure what you mean. An alternate position in a drawing view is generally used to show a range of motion of an assy, so in that respect, yes, assy related.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I am talking about CAD conventions not what software can do or not do. Normally hidden lines should not be dimensioned and I was thinking that also applies to phantom lines used in alternate positions.

Reply to
P.

A little off topic, but would it be nice to show alternate position view of a part. Have one configuration representing the stock (raw material) size and shape in phantom line overlaying machined part.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

You can do this with an assembly. Since a part can have two or more configurations why not constrain two copies of the part to the same location in the assembly and then on the drawing make one of the configurations the alternate position.

What I don't know is whether an alternate position can be easily put on its own layer. That would give further freedom to control the view through color and line font.

Reply to
P.