Alternate Position View Question

"You can superimpose one drawing view precisely on another with the Alternate Position View tool. The alternate position is shown with phantom lines. Alternate Position View are often used to show the range of motion of an assembly."

It does not say that it is ONLY used to show the range of motion of an assembly.

I have got a part that is a modified catalog item. I have got 2 configurations setup. One shows the part as bought off the shelf, and the other shows it in the modified state. In the drawing view of the modified version, I would like to show an alternate position view of the part, as bought, to give a reference and orientation as to what gets modified. Anyone know how I can get an Alternate Position View to work here, or possibly another solution?

Reply to
Seth Renigar

as of 2004 you can't I would suggest inserting your part in an assembly and have the different configs reference the different configs of the part. It is a bit more to setup but it will create the views you want.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

If that is the case, sounds like it is ER time...

Reply to
Seth Renigar

yep, back in march

kenneth b

I believe I already submitted one a year or so ago on this. Anyone else want to add an ER to the list.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Does not work for parts. Only for assemblies.

What I do for drawings of torsion springs to show multiple positions: Bring in multiple instances of view into the drawing. Change configuration in each view (in my case, "free", "open", and "closed" configurations). Break alignment of views, and reset alignment so views are horizontally and vertically aligned by origin.

I control color and font by putting part in each view on different layer. Also, it helps to size each view differently so you can grab the view for setting focus.

The downside is you can't dimensi> I don't use this a lot (actually only one time). Can this be used ONLY in

Reply to
That70sTick