Picking silhouette edges in drawings

So anyone have any tricks for making it so you can pick silhouette cylindrical edges in drawings. Seems SW often will not allow me to do this. I have found if I take a drawing view that is un-pickable and do a copy/paste of the view, the copied view is pickable. However this does not help me very much when your drawing is nearly completed.

Just looking for a good workaround for another long term graphical bug that they can't seem to fix.

TIA

Reply to
McBurger

The view has to be active in order to select silhouette edges.

Reply to
Boone1963

I don't think that's it. I have a number of stepped shafts parts with revolved features and some step silhouettes are pickable and others are not within the same drawing view with the view made active.

It happens all the time is quite common for me to see.

Reply to
McBurger

McBurger,

Picking silhouette edges, either in drawings or models, has beeen flakey and inconsistent forever.

Mark

Reply to
MM

I find that making sure the view is active sometimes must be followed by a ctrl-Q.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I've had a little luck by re-sizing the bounding box for the view in which I am trying to select the edge. Sometimes, especially when you modify the size of the part, the bounding box does not update in the drawing. Making that box significantly larger than what is actually necessary to fully accomidate the part, has allowed me to pick some of the more difficult to select edges.

Reply to
Brian

I am not sure but that functionality is not avalible to me in 2005, (the resizeing of the boundig box of a view in a drawing) did SW in their wisdom permanetly disable this in 2005 or is there a switch I am missing?

Ben

"Brian" am trying to select the edge. Sometimes, especially when you modify the

Reply to
Ben

Sorry, I recently switched to 2005 myself and I cannot resize the box either. I am pretty sure that I recall doing so in previous versions, but I could be mistaken. "When the pointer passes over the edge of a drawing view, the view boundary is highlighted. The boundaries are tightly fitted around the view by default; you cannot manually resize them. If you add sketch entities to a drawing view, the boundary automatically resizes to include these items. The boundary does not resize to include dimensions or annotations. View boundaries, and the views they contain, can overlap."

Adding sketch entities does not alter the size of the box either.

As an alternate method of dimensioning sillouette edges. Sometimes you are able to create geometry items and constrain them to those edges even when not allowed to select them with the dimension tool. You can then dimension the sketch entity.

Reply to
Brian

No dont get me wrong, I could do this (resize view) in 2004 and you are corect it helped with resizing to select the edges... Ben

Reply to
Ben