Surface Xsections in drawings

Hi, I have an assembly with some solid parts and some parts consisting of outer surfaces only. The drawing of this does not show the sections through the surfaces. Is there an easy way to do this and I do not mean making surfxsurf curves or making thins. On another occasion I 'accidentally' got what I wanted, the sections showed up as white lines so I know that the functionality is somewhere in there. Does anyone know how to do this? Proe2001 Thanks

Reply to
kenny

Assuming the model cross section cuts the quilts (Model & Qlts option on creation, or some such) I think you'll just need to turn on the drawing setup option show_quilts_in_total_xsects and regen the views.

=================

Reply to
Jeff Howard

My config does not have this option, or anything like it. Can this be added in some way?

Reply to
kenny

: My config does not have this option, or anything like it. Can this : be added in some way?

First of all, it's in 'Advanced>Drawing Options', not the config.pro (Pro/GOOFY strikes again!) Second, I can achieve your results by setting the config.pro options DISPLAY_SILHOUETTE_EDGES and SILHOUETTES to 'no'. (Which one causes it, I'm not sure.) When set to 'yes' and the section view is placed as 'Wireframe', the silhouette edges do appear. The drawing option 'show_quilts_in_total_xsects' seems to have no effect on this. Naturally, there will be no cross section hatching because surfaces have no thickness. It does not hatch volume, it hatches material.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

'show_quilts_in_total_xsects'

What I wanted was to have a section through some sets of quilts with the quilt parts beyond the section displayed, the actual section should ideally be a heavier line. What you have outlined above gives me the cuts through the part with messy views beyond.

The actual section can be got on its own by advanced setup/crossec type - new-style, but this appears notoriously unstable, it'll work on a simple test piece but not on the real work. I ended up doing masses of pointless intr surfs just to lay out on the drawing. The model & qlts section already exists in the part, is there any way of saving this as curves or suchlike for use in the drawing?

Reply to
kenny

You should be able to set show_quilts..... (drawing option) or (and I think this is really what you want) use an area cross section which will get rid of the background clutter (and will show white edges vs the blue for a total xsec).

Reply to
Jeff Howard

: >

: What I wanted was to have a section through some sets of quilts with : the quilt parts beyond the section displayed, the actual section : should ideally be a heavier line. What you have outlined above : gives me the cuts through the part with messy views beyond. : This can at least be partly solved by setting the view in View Disp to Hidden line and turning on Quilt HLR to get rid of some of the messy stuff. The heavier section outline may be a little tougher. As I recall in 2001, you have several things under Modify view besides View Disp, including Edge Disp. I would suggest selecting the edges you want displayed with a thicker line and changing the edge color to one that prints thicker.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes