can a sager 8790 with ati 9700 256meg mobility run solidworks...

well, i'm in the market for a laptop and i've found two that may fit my needs... the first one is an hp zd7000 and the second one is a sager 8790... the zd7000 comes with an nvidia go5700 128meg video system and the sager 8790 comes with a mobility 9700 256meg video system...

now, i know that nvidia and solidworks working together is a no-brainer, but i've personally never experienced the use of a radeon or any ati video card for 3d apps like solidworks...

so my question is, can anyone let me know if the mobility 9700 can run solidworks or any other 3d app...? thanks for any advice...

Reply to
Asmodeus

Asmodeus,

There are screen refresh problems with this card. I would imagine the laptop chipset is the same. There are currently no drivers available to fix it. ATI doesn't have a very good reputation with drivers.

Mark

Reply to
MM

that's a bummer... well, looks like i'm going with the zd7000... thanks for the tip...

Reply to
Asmodeus

Reply to
Rocko

ATI = poop for cad

Reply to
cadishaq

The current Dell heavy duty Notebooks come with the ATI Radeon 9700, and you must buy Intel with that. HP's #2 and #3 come with Radeon 9X00 (#1 and #4 with various GeForce) with a mixture of Intel and Athlon

  1. On April 14th, Richard M posted that his Athlon 64 eMachine (Radeon 9600 or 9700) ran OK, with the common multi-window-slowdown complaint only.

Given that the Radeon 9X00 opens so many more Notebook PC options (at lower cost) it would be nice to hear more people's experience with this graphics board in a Notebook, if there are any. SolidWorks and nVidea have some kind of sweetheart deal going, so I'm not surprised that testing of the Radeon 9X00 series is 10 months dormant.

I currently use the ATI Fire GL4 128 MB in my workstation, and has been great. I did update the driver the day I first booted up the machine 4/14/2003 and applied the SoldiWorks profile.

-GT

Reply to
GT