Stupid smart Fasteners!

Ok, I hear a lot of complaints about smart fasteners and toolbox. We went down the road of building our own configurable parts. What is the advantage of smart fasteners supposed to be? Is there a silent majority that uses them without trouble or complaint?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I have an assembly that was created in SW 03 and I have fasteners in this assembly that were installed using smart fasteners. Now in 04 I have problems with the smart fasteners the cherry bombs are there for some of the fasteners, when I RMB to edit them there is no edit fasteners to pick what gives. On another note there is no option to flip the fastener like there should be.

get pissed off more and more

Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Feculak

i gave up using smart fasteners quite some time ago.

however, i use toolbox without any trouble.

Reply to
kenneth b

Reply to
hayduke

I use them frequently, they do have some problems, but once you know the bugs they are managable even if they are a pita sometimes.

The fact is they save time when I need a full stack of washers nuts etc. Saves lots of toolbox dragging etc. You can easily tweak the far side washer mates to pull them out to the proper face etc.

Main problem is that between configs suppression doesn't behave properly.

Zander

Reply to
Zander

Dale Dunn wrote in news:Xns94DA846F0C2A3daledunnatjamestoolc@65.24.7.50:

The only time I use Smart Fasteners is when I do a series hole in an assembly. Regardless of the other troubles with Hole Wizard and Toolbox, this works slick.

"Series Hole" can only be done in the assembly, and it puts in context holes (these are not just assembly cuts) through each part, distinguishing (more or less) between the "first" part (gets a cbr, csk, etc), the "middle" part(s) (through hole sized to the hole in the first part), and "last" part (through hole or tapped blind hole), and then when it's done, it puts fasteners in with nuts and washers if you like. No mates or patterns to create. Don't have to edit each part to put holes in.

I generally distrust the other methods for using SF, but "theoretically", you should be able to select a face or a part and have SF automatically populate all the holes, or just tell it to populate all the holes in the whole assembly with fasteners, which is typically when you'll see it put a screw backwards into the end of a shaft with no hole. It's definitely flaky, but the series hole usually works ok for me (unless you have gaps between your bolted parts).

matt

Reply to
matt

Reply to
Nathan Feculak

"Nathan Feculak" wrote in news:Vutkc.2$4u4.1@edtnps84:

Yes, they show up in the part because they are incontext part features, not assembly features. This is what distinguishes a "hole series" hole from a regular hole wizard hole in the assembly.

matt

Reply to
matt

Smart fasteners rock! They fill all wizard batties!

Reply to
cadishaq

I must be dumb as a bucket of rocks......... (answers on a postcard please) batties? what the @#!%$ are batties??

non-SWX user

Reply to
domlanic

What! Don't you know proper Engrish.

Toolbox yes Fartsmasteners No

Reply to
Michael Brusich

Ah so! Somefing rost in transration, no? Such a stoopi' iriot, I should rook & risten more croserey.

As for the Queen's Engrish- OF COURSE I know she's Engrish!!

Reply to
domlanic