Concentric Mates

HELP,

I modeled 2 parts, a block with a hole and a shaft, both with the same diameter. I'm trying to have a concentric mate and the icon is grayed out and can't mate them.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Using SW 2004 in Windows XP Pro.

Thank you for your input.

Reply to
coldhot

Bob J.

Reply to
coldhot

which icon is grayed out, the mate icon or the concentric mate icon?

maybe you have the wrong things selected. make sure you select cylindrical faces (not edges).

Also, make sure both faces are truly cylindrical. If you did some convert entities operation and the sketch plane was at an angle to the edge you selected, the sketch would be an ellipse or maybe a spline. If the hole or the shaft was created with a revolve, make sure that it was a straight line parallel to the centerline that created the face you are trying to mate.

Make sure that you are selecting faces from two separate parts, and not just two bodies within the same part.

Make sure you're not in sketch edit or part edit mode, or in the middle of some other command for that matter.

Is there some reason why you're not using smart mates? Alt-drag one entity onto the other.

matt

snipped-for-privacy@water.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
matt

Everything Matt said was correct. One other thing to try may be to mate the origin of your shaft (if it's in the center) to the hole. I do that with springs and it works fine.

jk

cylindrical