Cosmos Express?

Is there a way to get an actual "inch" dimension on how far a part is actually deflecting after doing an analysis on a bracket using cosmos express?

Reply to
js

I asked myself the same question the other day as well - so am interested in an answer.

Also - is there a way with Cosmos Express to do a rotational/torque analysis? Such as a crankshaft - restrain one end, and apply rotational force at the other to twist it? I suppose that you have to have the full program to do that?

Thanks,

Adam.

Reply to
Adam Reif

"Adam Reif" wrote in news:3efbc2a0$0$87871$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newshosting.com:

If you browse to the Cosmos "work" directory, there is a *.out file. Text edit that and hunt around for the max displacement.

You could model a lever arm and place a straight line force of appropriate value to create the torque you need.

matt.

Reply to
matt

"Mickey Reilley" wrote in news:QcZKa.13$a snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

woops, yes, you're right.

Reply to
matt

Thanks for that tip. I had thought about making a groove and acting upon that - but was uncertain if I was going to receive an untainted answer that way. For the Lever Arm - I presume that you want to add something beefy - such as making it as big as the end of the crank is around (diam)?

Adam.

Reply to
Adam Reif

Yes, use something beefy like a solid disk. Also, your second force only needs to act in the opposite direction of the first; it does not need to be on the opposite side. This way, you can use one force a foot off the center axis (to get ft-lbs, for example) and the other force centered on the part axis in the opposite direction.

Reply to
Mickey Reilley

In the first COSMOSXpress screen, check the Options button to see where your Output files are going. Do your normal Analysis. Clcik the Close button and SAVE the data. Look in the direcotry for the file called:

partname-COSMOSXpressStudy.OUT

In this file, there is a section on Max and Min Displacements (Deflections) in each direction (X, Y, and Z). There is also a Total Max. displacement below that. The Mx. number shown is in METERS.

Multiply that number by 1000 (1000mm in a meter) and divide by 25.4 (mm in an Inch)

Hope it helps...

Mr. Pickles

Reply to
Mr. Pickles

What are the units in the OUT file???? They seem to be always in SI no matter what your options are set to, does this mean the displacement is in mm??

Reply to
Mike Z.

I believe it is always in meters

Jerry Steiger