Creating a cut sweep threading on rod

I hope someone can help. I'm rather new to solidworks 2k5 and trying to create a threaded rod. I cannot find a good example to learn how to create threading on a rod. I the rod is to be made so it has a standard 7/16x20 unf threading. Can someone direct me to a good tutorial or upload a sample file? This is really starting to agrevate me to no end. It should be so simple.

TIA

Reply to
<someone

sketch a circle on the end of the rod... and then use the helix tool to make a thread path. create a plane perp on the path at the end...and draw a profile... to cut sweep.

- also you can make a cosmetic thread rather than a modelled one.

Reply to
neil

sketch a circle on the end of the rod... and then use the helix tool to make a thread path. create a plane perp on the path at the end...and draw a profile... to cut sweep.

- also you can make a cosmetic thread rather than a modelled one.

Thanks for your quick response. How would I create a cosmetic thread? I need the rod to be 7/16" threaded. The Basic Major diameter needs to be .4375, the minor diameter actually needs to be .3780 instead w/20 TPI.

Reply to
<someone

sketch a circle on the end of the rod... and then use the helix tool to make a thread path. create a plane perp on the path at the end...and draw a profile... to cut sweep.

- also you can make a cosmetic thread rather than a modelled one.

Thanks for your quick response. How would I create a cosmetic thread? I need the rod to be 7/16" threaded. The Basic Major diameter needs to be .4375, the minor diameter actually needs to be .3780 instead w/20 TPI.

Reply to
<someone

probably easiest just to type 'cosmetic thread' into your SW help search for info...

- another way to show threads is to simply make a busy representation of a thread using a revolved zigzag - this has the advantages of looking like a thread from a distance but cuts rebuild times over the sweep esp. if you have many of them.

Reply to
neil

probably easiest just to type 'cosmetic thread' into your SW help search for info...

- another way to show threads is to simply make a busy representation of a thread using a revolved zigzag - this has the advantages of looking like a thread from a distance but cuts rebuild times over the sweep esp. if you have many of them.

--Do you have a sample file or somewhere that I can be directed to to see this or one that you can quickly upload...If I knew what I was doing...it would probably take a minute or two? I looked through the help files but it wasn't too much help. I wish there was a tutorial on this topic...

Reply to
<someone

well it is fairly simple ... - find the icon on your toolbar shown in the lower part of the help notes and click on it a panel comes up in the feature manager. select the outside dia of the rod and a bitmap will show on the screen along with a circle on the end of the rod. change the condition to the length you require and type in your callout of

7/16 or what ever
Reply to
neil

well it is fairly simple ... - find the icon on your toolbar shown in the lower part of the help notes and click on it a panel comes up in the feature manager. select the outside dia of the rod and a bitmap will show on the screen along with a circle on the end of the rod. change the condition to the length you require and type in your callout of

7/16 or what ever

- I was able to do that...but for some reason I can't seem to see the threading even when I create a drawing from it. I looked at the help files also to for issues with seeing the cosmetic threads but it did not help. I am not able to find the "show cosmetic thread" box.

2005 SP0 is what I'm using. I can see thread is definitly made as the curser changes when I scope over top of it...I would like to see something at least in the drawing mode. Any ideas? I wish there was a damn example and tutorial on this.
Reply to
<someone

well I am making you an example which I will send if I can have a legit address...

Reply to
neil

well I am making you an example which I will send if I can have a legit address...

Awesome

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Thank you very much!

Reply to
<someone

create a threaded rod. I cannot find a good example to learn how to create threading on a rod. I the rod is to be made so it has a standard 7/16x20 unf threading. Can someone direct me to a good tutorial or upload a sample file? This is really starting to agrevate me to no end. It should be so simple.

I've got a sample part on my website that shows 6 ways of doing it.

mysite.verizon.net/mjlombard

Go to the "SWParts" link. There are some broken links at the top, but if you scroll down, you'll see the part.

Matt

Reply to
matt

Go to the "SWParts" link. There are some broken links at the top, but if you scroll down, you'll see the part.

--Thank you for the link! The files are great to have...is there any way that someone can give a quick step by step tutorial on making one of these or even a book on making them? I can make a variety of other parts...these are giving me trouble though. I already have one graphical concepts in solidworks but there isn't anything with using exterior threads.

Reply to
<someone