Putting SW models on a websight

I have a customer that wants to place Solidworks models on his web sight so that people can view the model and be able to zoom in/out and rotate the model. I see that edrawing will save as an HTML file but when I upload it to my websight to try to view it, nothing shows up. What would I need to do to either use the Edrawing or what would be a better choice to do this. TIA for the help

John

Reply to
1

If you have SW Office, you can use the 3D Instant Website. You can Publish one to the SW 3D Instant Website directory, or to your local drive. When the HTML created file is run by someone, any viewer needed is downloaded...

Although I thought that the HTML version when viewed, went out onto the web to get its viewer. Perhaps you got an error the first time you tried? I have heard that if you do, it is because the eDrawing player has not fully downloaded in the background yet. Maybe let it sit for a moment, that is if you have Internet connectivity then.

Mr. Pickles

Reply to
Mr. Pickles

So, I'm guessing you don't have SW Office which includes 3D Instant Website?

I think the eDrawing should work but I think the first time it is used it triggers the web browser to load a viewer. Can the machine you are using open the file when it is not on the web?

JJ

Reply to
JJ

Hi 1 I suggest that you have a look at IPA Publish3d for SolidWorks (around £150 if I remember correctly). Its a pretty good piece of software. Info can be found at

You can also have a look at a sample I did at
It will probably ask you do a onr time download of the viewer software (like Flash ect).

Regards

Brian

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Within my experience, html edrawings are not ready for prime time.

We tried using the html edrawing up for customer access, but had numerous complaints that the files would not run. It seems to be related to how the user's computer is configured, but SW was significantly less than responsive in trying to resolve the problem. We eventually gave up.

Reply to
Michael

What kind of problems? Never had any myself..

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

send the customer an HTML edrawing...

Then he call back and says some variant on "when I double click on this file Internet Explorer starts, but there's nothing in the window"

When it works, it's great, but I'd say I saw failures on the customer's end ~1/3 of the time. Remote trouble shooting was essentially impossible, and so we gave up on it.

Reply to
Michael

No I don't have SW office. If I open the edrawing in Internet Explorer while local on my system, the file will work and do all the things it's supposed to do. If I upload it to the websight and open it on my system using IE, it will work but takes forever to download. If I send the link to my customer, (who has edrawing on his system), it looks like it is going to open but ends up with a white background, no images and a message at the bottom that IE5 or higher is needed to view this file.

Is "J" the same person as "1" who is the original poster?

It seems that Edrawings is telling you the problem which is the version of IE your customer is using. The problem you are having viewing from your own website could be related to your network speed. In either case, I doubt that using 3D Instant Website would help because it is the same technology.

If the customer already has eDrawings, why couldn't you send the .edrw file? It should be much different in size than the .html.

Reply to
JJ

Could it be that the customer doesn't have internet access? When sending the html, at least for first time, this is required so that the viewer can be downloaded. Other options are sending the file with the viewer imbedded or having the customer get the eDrawing viewer from the SW website. In fact, if the customer has a newer version of eDrawings, you can simply send them the .sldprt, .sldrw, or .sldasy and they can open it directly.

JJ

Reply to
JJ

Have you tried ModelPress?

It's free. I've never used it, so I can't recommend it. I've seen it mentioned here a couple of times with positive responses.

I have used the E-Drawing utility successfully in the past to do what you want. There were some people who couldn't load the models though. I think it's a firewall issue. If you are interested in trying it, let me know and I'll post the HTML template that I used.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

" Have you tried ModelPress?

It's free. I've never used it, so I can't recommend it. I've seen it mentioned here a couple of times with positive responses."

The Modelpress viewer is free, the software to create the files, Modelpress is not. You can download a time limited demo which gives you 30days if my memory is correct. I quite liked it too.

Cheers

Brian

Reply to
Brian Lawson