Obtaining "Equal Curvature" on Spline Ends

I've always assumed we had to 'manually' create an equal curvature condition on the ends of a spline (when made tangent to another spline or line) until I ran into this message...

Is there a way to add this relation (spline constraint) that I'm not seeing?

Thanks! Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

A glimmer of (false?) hope, perhaps? I've been waiting and whining for SW to improve curvature control of splines. I see nothing in the help or API help for SW2004.

to add this relation (spline constraint) that

Reply to
TheTick

"Mike J. Wilson" wrote in news:525a3b21082f021f817020de1d8d8a79 @news.1usenet.com:

How did you create this spline?

Zander

Reply to
Zander

Here is a simplified way...

*) Start new 2D sketch *) Draw two horizontal lines, one on the upper right of your screen, the other on the lower left. *) CTRL-select each and hit "Fit Spline". Use Constrained. *) Right-click the newly created spline and select "Split Entities" and try splitting the spline.

That's when the message pops up.

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

Cool! I had never played with fit splines before. It looks like it will be very useful, providing a workaround for the lack of curvature control. Strange that the help doesn't point out that the spline matches the curvature of the underlying geometry, whether it's a line, an arc or another spline.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

Because they cannot guarantee it. All "fit spline" does is to draw a new spline from "enough" points located on the underlying geometry such that the distance between the spline and the line/arcs/spline is withing the given tolerance. Do a "simplify spline" with a 0 tolerance to see the spline control points. Remember that splines are polynomial functions, so they cannot have a constant curvature like a circle (ok, it's easier with a line...) But you are correct, SolidWorks/D-Cubed could "easily" add start/end tangency to splines.

FYI, we will "soon" release an addin that does "fit-spline" automatically to all the chains in a sketch, for example to an "exploded" text or to an imported dxf...

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti