Creation of New Files

Hello everyone. I've had an issue that has been eating away at me for some time now. I'm currently running SW 06 s.p.4.1 in conjunction with PDMWorks but I've noticed this problem at least since the 2006 release. I'm hoping someone can explain why this happens. Every now and again I will find a new SW file that I didn't create. The file is always a copy of an existing file either on my local drive or in the vault. The file is the same in every way with the exception of the revision number preceding the file name. I have asked our reseller's tech support and was flat out told that PDMWorks/SW will not create a new file.

I have finally recreated the actions that lead to this outcome and have proven it on my co-workers computer but I am still wondering how or why. It happens when I go to document information in the vault view, choose the view tab, and print the file. The file is printed from Edrawings, the program that views the file from the vault. I'm not sure if these are the only actions that lead to the creation of new files because I have only recently discovered that files can be printed directly from the vault in this way.

I did find a blurb about Edrawings creating temp files from a string in

2000 but wasn't for sure. Is it correct assuming that Edrawings is the culprit that is making these new files? Is this a typical function of Edrawings? I would greatly appreciate anyone's insight into this matter.
Reply to
Shaggy

Shaggy:

I don't think there is too much to add. It seems like you have it figured out. If you enter the options screen in PDM Works Client, you should see a group of options at the bottom of the screen for temporary viewing files, including an address and "delete temporary viewing files" button. If you click on the help button, you'll get this:

Temporary viewing files When you view a document in eDrawings, the file is copied into the specified directory. The SolidWorks DrawCompare tool and SolidWorks Utilities comparison tools also use this directory. Type a path and folder name or browse to a folder.

On my system, temp viewing files are created whenever I use the document information window, as you mentioned, or when I use the "view" tab in the preview section. Both of these actions use eDrawings to view the model. Sounds like your VAR was mis-informed.

TheDoc