Extended Serial Number

I don't often look at the About SolidWorks dialog, but I recently needed to enter my serial number for something and I noticed that in
addition to the 16 digits that have always been my serial number, there are now 8 more alpha-numeric digits added to it. I am using Office Professional and am at SP3.1. I'm not exactly sure when the extra digits were added but I suspect it was along with the product activation that happened with the upgrade from SP2.2 (I think) to SP3.1. I did need to enter all 24 digits of my serial number, the original 16 digits were not recognized as a valid serial number anymore.
Not a real problem, just thought it was a little odd that SW would change my serial number and not tell me about it.

the s/n grew from 16 to 24 characters with the introduction of sw 2007 sp0.0. a dialog box with the revised s/n should have been presented to you for viewing during the installation process.
On an SNL it is still 16 digits. SW2007 SP3.1
TOP
ok wise guy ...
for standalone licenses
Kenneth,
My standalone installed 2007 SP0, and SP 2.1 with the normal 16 digets
WTF
Mark

touch!
"wtf" is the perfect acronym/internet shorthand to describe this.
i've got a screen shot if anyone wants a peek.
;)
I'm not being a wise guy. Just documenting the assumptions used for my statement. If I didn't mention the SNL you would begin to think SW had it in for you. :)
TOP
Darn it's getting hard to finish a sentence with all the tornado warnings going off.
i pressed enter before i could sign my reply with ";)".
did i also mention that my version of sp0.0 requires a license file (web registration)?