FeatureWorks - interactive mode

Can someone please explain how to use the "interactive" mode in FeatureWorks?

I find the automatic recognition does not produce the results I would like, but I can't get the interactive mode to recognise even the simplest of features (I have read the Help).

Consider a U-section (straight sides) extruded to a thickness, then add a hole through the legs of the "U", perpendicular to the direction of extrude (effectively makes 2 colinear holes). I want it to recognise the U as a single extrude, with the holes as a single extrude or hole feature.

How do I do it? I've tried picking the face and alternatively the edges of the U profile, but to no avail.

Regards, John H SW2006sp4.1

Reply to
John H

Works fine here. Pick (1) hole(not both), specify "cut extrude" or "hole" then hit the recognize button, not the "X" Pick the other hole "do same" Pick the "U"face of the U channel, specify "boss extrude" hit "recognize" When complete you should then be asked to "map the features"

You work in reverse from building a part, recognize fillets first, then bosses, cuts etc. As the part is recognized the features are taken away from the working part. I usually set it up to map a new part versus overwriting the imported part. The biggest problem I have is hitting the Close button instead of "recognize"

Mike

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

I forgot to mention, after picking (1) hole(one hole only) you can pick "recognize similar" and Featureworks will probably catch the othe hole. A hole can usually be picked up by one of, cut, cut revolve or hole. Remember hit the "recognize" button.

Mike

"Michael Eckstein" wrote in message news:VGAhg.52$ snipped-for-privacy@fe07.lga...

Reply to
Michael Eckstein

"Michael Eckstein" wrote

That was the but that the Help files didn't mention - at least, I didn't see it!

Thanks, John

Reply to
John H