Find the registration code?

Hi all! We use SolidWorks 2004 here at my job, and I've just recently had it installed on my machine. We have other installations on other machines, but mine is the most recent. We've gone through a few IT guys since the last install, and it seems that the documentation regarding the Registration Code has been lost. The current IT guy is looking into it, but his attempts to contact SolidWorks support have lead to them asking for a $1500 support renewal first.

Does anyone know of a way to read the Registration Code from an installation on one of our other machines? Maybe it's in the registry or some other location? I'm not trying to use the software illegally, I just want to avoid the unreasonable (in my opinion) $1500 fee for a number we've misplaced.

Reply to
adam.hartman

I've never seen SW refuse a legitimate request for an old code. Usually this goes through the VAR. If your IT really mislaid it have them pay for it. If you are installing on multiple machines that is illegal unless you can guarantee that only one person uses it at a time.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

We're licensed for 6 users, so there's no problem with installing it on less than 6 machines. I've not contacted SW myself, so I'm not sure if it was the VAR that the IT guy spoke to last time.

Reply to
adam.hartman

If you want to move SW from one machine to another, you just have to open up SW on the "old" machine and hit Help/About SolidWorks. The Serial No. is the registration code. It won't give you the serial numbers for any of the add-ins though.

Jerry Steiger

Jerry and Adam, SolidWorks requires a serial number and a reg code. Your serial number can be found by going into SolidWorks, then Help, then, ...just like Jerry said. It will be a 16 digit number in the format 0000 0000

0000 0000. This number can also be found in the registry under HKLM - SOFTWARE - SolidWorks - Security.

However, the serial number is not the registration code.

Typically, the registration code is alpha/numeric and can be 4 or 8 characters. I believe 8 character codes are more recent. I do not know where or how it is stored.

To answer your question, I agree with others, if you are legal, you shouldn't have any problems getting the code. If your VAR will not, then they are not serving you very well. Contact SolidWorks to get your code and report your VAR as not adding any value.

Reply to
Eddie

Didn't the registration code used to be the dongle number, or something related to it?

John H

Reply to
John H

The regcode is released by SW, depending on licence Nb and SW version. I believe the dongle and the licence nb are linked.

"John H" a écrit dans le message de news: ivqdnRYKU snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Reply to
Jean Marc

news: ivqdnRYKU_KadBnbRVny__BEGIN_MASK_n#9g02mG7!__...__END_MASK_i?a63jfAD$= z_ snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Reg code is included on the dongle if you have a network licence. Are you trying install a home licence? If so, you need to contact your VAR for a special reg code.

Matt

of

fcsuper

Quite right. Your brain is apparently working, unlike mine.

Jerry Steiger

If you have maintenance and can get to the SW portal, the serial numbers and reg codes are in the tab under my products.

For myself I have found a lot of value in the new features with newer releases. If you upgrade to SW 2007 or above the system that SW has implemented for transferring between computers works very nicely. I have seen a lot of groaning on some of these news groups over this system but it has worked nicely every time I have needed to use it.

SW 2008 SP1 should be out in a mounth or two... perhaps that would be a good time to upgrade.

Hope this helps.

EdT

Reply to
Ed

He is not on maintenance anymore. But the VAR can still do this.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Reg code is included on the dongle if you have a network licence. Are you trying install a home licence? If so, you need to contact your VAR for a special reg code.

Things are different between the US and the rest of the world: we used to need a dongle for every licence, network or not. At least 'till 2006. So here, we need: a dongle, a serial, and a reg code, all linked together to make it work.

Reply to
Jean Marc