SW.exe error

I crashed to desktop on my Dell M50 Laptop. When I tried to open SW again I got the following message. "SLDWORKS.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." No matter how many times I restart I get the same message. I removed the program and reinstalled (six times now), with virus protection off and all of that, shuting down and re-booting after each step. Nothing works, I keep getting the same message. Can anybody offer support. I am out of country so I have limited support here, I ask my VAR and he is drawing blanks. If anyone can offer an idea I will gladly try it, I need my SW back.

Reply to
Ken Cook

before you reinstall, delete the relevant portions of the registry--in particular, do the following--it came from my VAR when I had a similar problem

Complete SolidWorks Uninstall Directions

The following steps will completely uninstall SolidWorks and it's add-ins from your computer. Before you proceed, make sure 1) You copy any important files from your SolidWorks install folder, and 2) You know your SolidWorks Serial Number and Registration Code.

1) Uninstall SolidWorks

2) Go to the Registry Editor and delete the "SolidWorks" and "SolidWorks Corporation" folders from the "Software" folders in both "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" and "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" keys.

(To run the Registry Editor, go to Start>Run, type in "regedit", and select "ok".)

3) Delete the SolidWorks install folder.

4) Reboot your computer.

5) Disable any anti-virus software.

6) Install SolidWorks

Reply to
Michael

Ken,

I echo what the others have said about the registry. But try this first.

Go to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" first, and delete the solidworks key under "Software". This key is tied to your user profile, and sometimes gets hosed up. When it does the machine displays "EXACTLY" the symtoms your describing.

SW will create a new key when launched. You'll have to reset your defaults.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

Thanks to all that replied. Getting rid of the reg files was the trick.

Reply to
Ken Cook