How long does it take to fix PDF printing problem?

...I sincerily hope, for their sake (solidWorks co.), that they are adding more updates to SP2.1... not just the pdf problem update...

..just a reminder...

Arto Kvick

Not long, just remove and recompile. Let them focus on more urgent problems.

Reply to
Count Zero

certainly you aren't implying SW is being less than honest, are you?

-nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

nah, He just found that out... Like the other 200 not working things in SW... but the blame is ofcourse on PDF printing, cause it's from third party software wendor!

Reply to
Arto Kvick

It's probably more complicated than just that. The reason they were messing with the PDF in the first place is the auto-suppression problem which from all accounts has been difficult to track down. I suspect that in fixing the PDF problem, they have to in essence re-fix the auto- suppression.

The problem with amateur software critics is that they rarely have enough information to understand what's going on, although that lack of information rarely prevents them from flapping about it.

matt

snipped-for-privacy@jippii.fi (Arto Kvick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
matt

There's something very strange going on. As far as I recall, it's the weirdest behavior yet from Solidworks. We can only hope that when SPxx is posted, that it fixes a lot of things :)

I'm sure SW is hoping (requiring?) the same thing. Seems like somebody in the food chain got spanked. It will be very interesting to see when and what gets posted in the next SP. And sarcasm aside, I really am hoping good things.

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

Matt, I'm sure it wasn't meant as such, but that was a little offensive. Every user and beta tester is, at some level, an amateur software critic. Users don't have to know visual programming to know that their software crapped out to the desktop again. They don't have to care about memory leaks every time their resource usage shoots through the roof. It's their job to use the software. It's philanthropic for us to report errors. We get paid to work with it, not on it.

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

I've been sticking with PDF995. Allows one to do so much more and works like a champ.

At $9.95 US, there's no reason not to buy a personal copy.

Reply to
TheTick

Ditto

Is this an example of how collaborative engineering works in the real world? Software checking Software, programmer cells working at different sites, beta and more beta, ineffective communications, indifference to real customer needs, etc .... Maybe some more communication skills, effective organizational skills, sensitivity and quality training is in order!

The phrase "cluster ?" comes to mind. OK, done venting, now I can go back to repairing the assembly mate errors created after using the performance enhancement they call CosmosXpress.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

Matt,

I would certainly classify myself as an amateur software critic. However, that doesn't justify or exempt the software experts from taking responsibility for poor quality. We amateurs provide the revenue to pay for all these software expert salaries and not the other way around.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

You got it! We've been using it for two years. It rocks!

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

I agree. I've been using swx since '98 and I don't like the trend with each release (slower, buggier, slower, slower....) I'm thinking that the current programming system regarding all the outsourcing, has some serious flaws, and I'm starting to be pessimistic about any improvement. If you were to jump ship, who would be your most likely alternative? ProE, Solidedge, IV.....

I've heard some rumors that SE will be included to some extent in the file consolidation of UG and IDEAS. I haven't heard much lately about SE, though.

Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

we're thinking of not renewing our subscription service and sticking with

2003 for a few years. i think this "we gota have the latest & greatest" has gotten out of hand.
Reply to
kenneth b

"Kman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I don't disagree about who's responsible. Problems with the software are obvious enough. I just see that a lot of the speculation about internal happenings at SW is way off base.

Reply to
matt

I'll ignore the snide comment at the end there, and point out that I have disabled PDF-printing from SW (per my VAR) and STILL have random feature suppression. When opening, when adding dims to a drawing, when dragging a part into an assembly, etc.

Also, how do you know WHY they are fixing the PDF problem? The most likely reason (as someone else alluded to), is that the contract between SW and Bluebeam requires the PDF-printing to work, and that they must pull any version in which it does NOT work. Screw the users.

If the PDF inclusion is really the cause of the random feature suppression, REMOVE THE PDF FEATURE!! When you get right down to it, it really is a pointless feature. There is a LOT more that needs to work correctly.

Once again, screw the users.

--nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

we're in the same boat. Once we get to a stable, more or less bug-less SP (well, at least no bugs that don't directly affect me to much) I am going to stick with that one, and HIGHLY recommend that we cancel the subscription service. If needs be, we can always buy a new version 2-4 years from now.

--nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

just like your speculation about why the PDF-print-fix is taking so long?

-nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

Matt, You should be at SolidWorks World having fun! Who's ass are we going to have to kick for not sending you there?

Mike J. Wilson

Your name has to be on the "Angel" list, I think, and I'm definitely not on that list. Weather forecast in Boston has a lot of negative numbers in it... this year seemed like a good one to miss.

matt

"Mike J. Wilson" wrote in news:400d7f23$1_1@127.0.0.1:

Reply to
matt