cosmos mesh transfer

I'm still a newbie at this Cosmos stuff, so I hope my questions aren't too lame... Is it possible to transfer the mesh from one study to the next, within the same assembly? How do you find the resultant forces at the fixed base of a structure? Is there a way to click on different vertices of a model to fine local node displacement, or is it even possible to setup the colour scale to represent a given displacement i.e., .010" displacement is always red regardless of the overall displacement. I'm curious if I am the only one that finds the pictorial representations a bit clumsy in Cosmos. Even my old dated Algor had circular arrows that shows direction of moments. I tried using remote loads, but there is absolutely no feedback that shows where the load is in space. All it would take is a - instead of a + inputing coordinates and your numbers are out to lunch. I've resorted to modeling rigid members instead. I guess my questions turned into a rant... sorry about that.

Reply to
Walms

It automatically keeps the mesh. It's up to you to re-mesh if you've changed geometry. Otherwise, define all the studies you like (different loads and constraints, thermal, buckling, whatever) and they'll all work with the same mesh.

Cosmos/Result Tools/Reaction Force (I think - don't have it in front of me). Pick a surface that's constrained, and it will tell you the x, y, z, and resultant reaction forces.

Yes, though it takes two steps. 1) Change your displacement (or stress) plot display setting to "not deformed". 2) Right click on the plot in the feature tree, and choose "probe". Pick away at the surface, and wherever there's a node, you can get a (stress, strain, displacement, whatever) value.

Yes again. Right click a plot in the feature tree, go to "edit definition" I believe, display or settings, and you can enter the min and max values for the color scale. Also, changing the plot type from "tone" to "discrete" helps sometimes too.

I haven't played with remote loads yet, but with standard loads, you can show/hide the arrows. But you probably already knew that.

Hope this helps! Denny Trimble

Reply to
Denny Trimble

I get a flag tellin me "database not found" every time I start a new study then right click mesh and display it. Is there a save mesh command somewhere?

representations a

Reply to
Walms

This can happen if you worked on the model on a different computer. Cosmos saves its mesh file in a folder like c:/cosworks/work (depending on how you installed it), and if you move the solidworks document to another machine, the mesh doesn't travel with it unless you also move the cosmos files from this folder. Or, if you don't have admin privelidges on your machine, you'll run into this sort of problem as well.

Reply to
Denny Trimble

As it turns out... on my machine anyway. When you add a new study, even if you didn't change the model between meshing the first study and creating the next, you need to remesh the model. After the studies are inplace and you modify the model you only need to remeash once for all the studies.

Reply to
Walms

Nope, I have to take what I said back. I have to re-mesh for every study individually if I modify the part, It's pulling up the old meshed part when I run the study without re-meshing. Please tell me that it's a setup thing. I've found that I can save the mesh but I still haven't found where to import a mesh.

Reply to
Walms

Parts of what you say here match up with my experience, and others don't. I've used SW2001+ & SW2003 with Cosmos v6, and SW2003 (educational / student) with Cosmos v7.

I've inferred from experience that Cosmos only deals with the most recently created mesh. You can't export it or import it, but it will hang around until you re-mesh. The only reason you should need to re-mesh is if the model changes (or perhaps gap/contact changes in assemblies, but I'm not sure).

So, for sure you can't save and later re-use the mesh (i.e. create mesh1, save, create mesh2, save, run with mesh1). But you shouldn't have to re-mesh just because you're changing or adding studies. The most recently created mesh should always be available.

Reply to
Denny Trimble