Cosmos Moments ?

I'm a newbie at cosmos and I'm getting frustrated with what should be a simple thing to do. I want to add a moment to a face. In the force/moment icon there isn't an option for imputing moment units?? In the remote load area there is an option for moment loads but when I view the moment it doesn't give me an indication of the direction of the moment. It shows straight arrows parallel and coincident to the face selected. I suppose I was expecting a circular arrow showing the direction of the moment. Am I missing something here?

Reply to
Walms

Which version are you using? To apply a moment, preselect a surface and an axis, then choose "Torque" instead of "force/moment".

Also, watch out for using this type of load. Cosmos (from what I can tell) models the torque as a group of force vectors at each endpoint of the surface you selected, so that they sum up to the torque value you entered. But, if your surface isn't rotationally symmetric (i.e. D-shaped), this will result in a net force parallel to the surface! This may result in transverse bending on a long shaft if it has a keyway, for example. Make sure Cosmos is doing what you tell it to... the Animate function is useful for reality checks too. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Denny Trimble

I'm using 2004. I was avoiding using the torque option because I thought it was reserved for circular or cylindrical faces. In the meantime I had found an article in Cosmos's website that described what I was looking for.

suppose they are using the right hand rule in respect of the arrows, I would have thought that a circular arrow about the x axis would be more clear. Thanks for the tip on the animate function.

Reply to
Walms