Importing

I have downloaded the trial version of Nugraf to help me import 3DS models into SW.

What is the best format to save?

I have tried IGES but when I import the model although it shows up as a mesh onscreen I cannot apply any materials to it. When I render, it is as if the model is not there.

How can I import 3DS files to SW? I dont want to change the model just need to render the 3ds model next to my SW created model.

Reply to
voodoochile

I've had better luck with STEP

Reply to
Yankee

The model won't render because you're not dealing with a solid . . . you're dealing with surfaces. Can't apply materials for the same reason. That's what typically occurs when you import 3DS files, even if you use 3rd party software to translate. To get solids you'd have to be very lucky, or the model would have to be very simple geometry, or you'd have to do some patching work to have your surfaces enclose a volume perfectly so that SolidWorks can create a solid from it. If you need to patch you would be best advised to set the import options to "Do not knit", so that you end up with individual surfaces instead of one big imported surface. In patching you'll find that if it's one big surface you'll have some pretty severe limitations in what you can do (for example, you can't trim a surface to itself).

'Sporky'

voodoochile wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman

Is there a way to add the surfaces to the model in Solidworks?

Reply to
voodoochile

Huh? You can always ADD surfaces to an imported model. In fact, you can choose faces in a model and Offset (using zero as a distance) to duplicate the faces with SolidWorks faces that can be edited. Is that what you're asking?

Reply to
Sporkman

The way I'd suggest doing this is save the 3DS as a STL and import the STL with the option to import as a surface or solid. ...

Reply to
Paul Salvador