STL File Conversion

Hi,

I was given an STL file of a part and would like to sketch a similar part; improve it, add draft, make it injection "friendly" etc.

Problem(s) (I am sure there are more that everyone else here knows about!): The part is not near the origin, and I cannot sketch off any surface, I.E. create a plane on or near the part, and I need to measure the part to get it close, but because it has no features I cannot measure...

What is the best way to go about getting this (ghostly) part into SW 2005 SP3.1

Certainly some data is there, SW & OpenGL draws it! I have never had this particular problem and just cannot figure this one out!

Thank you,

Aron

Reply to
Aron Bacs, Jr.

DDDAAAA...

I think I answered my own question, maybe...

In the open dialog the options settings allow you to convert the part to surfaces or a solid body.

I may be able to get close enough from there,

Aron

Reply to
Aron Bacs, Jr.

I hate to spoil your victory feeling, but.... Those options works usually only on very simple STL files with low polygon count. In large or complicated files solidworks hangs out for a long time and after

15 minutes the surfaces shows up with errors/warnings.

Reply to
Gil Alsberg