Unable to edit STL Model

Hi, I received an STL model from customer. When I opened the STL file, it showed up as facet feature id 4. I cannot create a cut in this model. How do I create a cut on this type of model ? Thank You.

-Ethan

Reply to
Ingear

Not sure why you'd want to work on an STL file, but I don't think you can because it doesn't create a solid. I only make STL files for prototyping. They are not smooth surface files like IGS so they're not good for tooling. They should send you IGS or STEP if you need to work on it. You can always make your own STL if that's what you need to send out.

Reply to
Dave Ignaczak

It's probably not a solid.

Reply to
gra_factor

First, the .stl file is a solid. But it's a faceted solid (lots of faces, no planes or planar surfaces), so, by nature, no holes/cuts normal to a plane/planar surface. Sorry, you 'cut' this type of model. (Maybe some tricky, backdoor 'workaround'? Afterall, Pro/e is the capital of the 'Workaround Nation'!)

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Try reading the stl into a program that will convert polygon mesh objects to analytic or NURBS representations then export as IGES or STEP. Rhino and, maybe Acad (in a round about way; export as IGES and specify the correct convesion switch), come to mind. Don't know if (or think) there is a way to do it in Pro/E.

Calling something "solid" can be ambiguous and misleading. The stl import defines a volume and can be assigned a density attribute. It's the volume boundary that gets you in trouble. A different set of functions is necessary to manipulate polygon mesh faces, ergo Pro/E's "solid" or "surface" modeling functions do not work on the objects. I am a bit surprised it doesn't have a built in conversion routine (if that is, in fact, the case).

You, sir, have obviously never been stuck working with AmateurDesk software.

8~)
Reply to
Jeff Howard

Thank You everyone.