stl graphics file import

Is there any way to make a part into a solid or surface coming from an stl graphics file that I have imported into SW2003, SP3.1?

I can't render it in the current form.

Thanks,

-Derek

Reply to
dsbeaupre

Derek

In the "file-open-stl" window, click on "options". This will open another window that will give you the choice of opening the part as a solid, or a graphics object. Choose solid.

If the model has any curves it will be noticably faceted. Photoworks doesn't have any tools to smooth it out with, so it will render pretty rough

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

Derek,

In verifying what I just told you, I discovered several problems. One's a big fat bug, and the other may be a bug, or designed behavior.

SW2003 SP4 doesn't appear to be able to read an STL in as a solid "unless" it's extremely simple. I tried a small curvy part, SW choked (came up with an empty part after many minutes). Tried a block with a hole in it, and it read in as a faceted solid. activated PW2 and all the selections were grey'd out except the "render area", and "render last area" Icons. It will allow you to render using default materials and windowing, but it won't allow you to apply materials, or modify the scenes. Looks like both are bugs to me.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

Thanks Mark, In response to your original post, I did try all three choices - graphics, solids, and surfaces - graphics is the only one that works. I tried all three with and without the texture info selected too.

And you are right, it doesn't work - it must be a bug.

Thanks,

Reply to
dsbeaupre