STL Conversion

I know this had been answered here before but I thought there might be new option since the last time it was discussed.

I have some very complex STL files I want to convert to IGES, Parasolid or something I can actually use in Solidworks. I want to use the complex geometry in assemblies to make sure new parts fit appropriately.

Thanks in advance for any help, Jon

Reply to
jonpod2000

Changing an STL to IGES or parasolid won't change the fact that the source data is a jumble of small facets.

Reply to
That70sTick

SW will convert STL into a solid. From there it can be exported in any of the formats you are asking about.

HOWEVER, SW will not create geometry that is friendly to many SW operations because it does not fit the best available solid to the imported STL data. In other words an STL file of a cylinder will not be amenable to a concentric mate because it is really just a collection of triangulated flat surfaces that approximates the shape and volume of a cylinder.

Importing an STL file also can degrade performance due to the graphics load placed on SW in rendering each and every triangle.

TOP

Reply to
manager