Increasing rendering speed.

I usually just test out my rendering first see how things will look, and then once I like what I see I crank up the juice. Not to the max, but turning on Indirect Illumination (ID) about 3 notches, Global Illumination (GI) is about 3 notches as well. I have Anit-Aliasing set to high as well as Ray tracing 5 and 4 for the respective fields.

I am by no means expecting it to finish in less than an hour, but 10 hours seems kind of crazy when it comes to one single render that isn't even to file, this is just to the screen. I am wondering what will speed up the time....

- Processor, RAM, or Video Card.

I am working with a 2.4 P4, and 512MB in RAM. Not the fastest thing on the block, but it does everything else well.

I know that PW cannot be done as a render farm set up so the only other thing I can see is dual Processors and even then it seems like that will only increase by about 10-15%

L8tr

Reply to
modelsin3d

"Processor, RAM, or Video Card." All of the above.

"I am working with a 2.4 P4, and 512MB in RAM. Not the fastest thing on the block, but it does everything else well." For rendering, a much faster P4 will help, try to install 2MB of RAM(if your motherboard supports it) and enable the 3GB memory switch. If you search the forum under Performance you'll find that AMD64 processors give approximately

20 - 33% faster results.

What operating system and video card are you using?

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

I use Blender but for a reasonably large model or assy with a bells and whistles render it is fairly easy to use more than 1GB of both ram and page. if you load up the settings render times do climb rapidly into hours. perhaps you could do something simpler with the lighting at a smaller resolution... my practical 'nice' renders usually are less than an hour or if I do an animation I try to get less than say 3mins per frame. HTH neil

Reply to
neil