Is Matrix One any good with SolidWorks? (Dessault Systems buyout)

MatrixOne is listed as a Solutions Partner on SolidWorks website for PDM/ERP system. The software is called EMatrix. Anyone use this, or know much about? I tried to find more info on MatrixOne site, but no luck.

SW Monkey

I've used it in my previous workplace with pro. Very powerfull but expensive... I don't think it will suite for sw users, at least not until they get 'gold' level status. Dassault is most likely to unite matrixone with enovia under CAA V5 and then offer Catia to the customers

Reply to
abb

If you use lots of configurations and want a business object for each configuration, it will not work. We spent three years trying to implement it and ended up throwing away Matrix. Matrix is very expensive, very difficult to use and Matrix-One provides horrible support. Maybe Dessault can fix some of this. Brad

Reply to
Brad

Is Matrix One integrated with SolidWorks? File checkin, checkout, release, etc?

We have Smarteam, and currently are in the process of migrating to a new package. Smarteam to was very expensive, lacking in support, and to complex.

Reply to
SW Monkey

Smarteam is also owned by Dessault and works similarily. The core package is standard software then they have a number of customized integrations programs that link the various CAD packages to the core PLM programs. The integration is the weak point and the area that the software people do not want to spend much time to improve. As for the gold partner status, Matrix has not meet the gold partner requirements numerous times, SolidWorks is aware of it, but nothing changes. Brad

Reply to
Brad

I use Matrix with UG. The integration is identical to the Solidworks integration which is to say that it's very weak. It's no easy or apparent that other users are working on the same files and horrid CAD integration interface makes for a very "uncollaborative" experience. Basically, projects here don't get checked into the system till the last minute and we work off network folders until the design is nearly done. Not exactly how a PDM/PLM is suppossed to work.

Outside of that, the database is powerful but complex. It's basically a blank slate inwhich you have to setup everything (Attributes, Objects, relationships). The upside is it can configured to do just about anything, the downside is it will take a lot of time and money to do so.

Matrix used to be a gold partner but lost that status. Probably couldn't keep up with all their integrations and the fast release cycles of CAD programs. Doesn't mean it won't work with newer versions but that possibility exists. Smarteam is listed as a Gold Partner but I often here about how it's not working "yet" with the latest SolidWorks release.

Matrix may fair better than Smarteam at some tasks but if you're looking for something less complex and less expensive, then Matrix is not the way to go.

Personally, after looking at numerous PDMs for SolidWorks, and almost getting Matrix (Couldn't get upper managment to sign off), I would elect to go with something smaller. A workgroup level PDM tied in to a larger system is the way to go IMO. Something like DBWorks or PDM/Works or one of the other smaller PDMs will have far more functionality for the engineers and designers, can be implemented quickly, and can be later tied into the big picture. You'll see a return on your investment much quicker.

Reply to
Jason

Anyone here use or know about Arena?

get about one email "newsletter" from them each month touting their superior integration with Solidworks, but know nothing about them. I'd like to hear from any who have experience with them.

Reply to
ms

No hands-on experience with them, but I have talked to them at a Regional User Conferance. I wasnt very impressed, since they didnt even have a demo setup at the booth. The sales guy kept calling, even though we told him we would contact them if we wanted more info. It also didnt make our short list when we narrowed all of the PDM packages to review.

Reply to
SW Monkey

We did not use Areana, but we took a very close look at it two years ago. Arena took a different direction from most other PLM packages. They host the software for the users. The up front fees are lower and implementation is easier, but yearly fees tend to be higher (maybe not if you consider server costs). Downsides: it is a BOM centric system, not great if you want to manage projects instead of BOM's. Also the software is hosted so there is little chance of customizing it. Brad

Reply to
Brad