Let one dimension follows another dimension

Hi, is it not possible, to let a distance always be 1/3 length of another dimension ?

like here I need "B" to be 1/3 of "A" -I have a screenshot at:

SW 2001+

Thanks Henrik

Reply to
Henrik Jensen

It's... "D2@Sketch1"="D1@Sketch1"/3

Search help under "equation"

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

You could do this with sketch relations if you wanted. Draw a centerline through the middle of the shape and divide it into three segments. Constrain the three segments collinear and equal length, and they can be used to divide into thirds.

Another more generic semi-graphical method would be to have a construction line the same length as "A" and sharing one endpoint with "A", at an angle where the cosine B/A. A line perpendicular to "A" starting at the other end of the construction line will divide "A" by the fraction B/A.

You could also use similar (same angles, different size legs) triangles.

Reply to
That70sTick

Thanks for fast reply. Henrik

----------------------

Reply to
Henrik Jensen

I recently had a project where I needed to 'divide' a 90' long spline into 30" sections. I was unable to do this in solidworks (I may have missed a technique) but I remembered the good old divide command in autocad, as much as I hated returning I have to admit that it worked like a charm. Divide, select object, number of pieces to divide and it places a point at the division location without destroying the original line. Sometimes I wish solidworks had commands like this.

Zander

Reply to
Zander

Once in a while I like to challenge myself to do things with as few dimensions and equations as possible and rely on geometric constraints.

Here's a good challenge: Bisect a randomly oriented line segment in a 3D sketch using only sketch entities and geometric constraints. Last I checked, 3D sketch had no midpoint or symmetry commands. It's tough, but possible.

Reply to
That70sTick

Easy in ACAD since there are no parametrics. Acceptable in Acad, not so in SWX.

You could place Reference points along the spline though (evenly spaced or distance options), not sure if that would help you in that case.

Reply to
Jason Capriotti

Hi Jason,

How would you evenly space the ref points along a spline? As far as I can tell only linear dimensions are allowed between them, when what is needed is a 'spline length' dim similiar to an arc length dim where you could select 2 points and the spline to set a distance along the curve. I can't check right now but I'm sure I tried splitting and using equal constraints, I don't think sw allows a 'equal length' constraint for splines, although this is not feasible with over 30 sections.

Zander

Reply to
Zander

SW 2005 can put datum points at even intervals along an edge. It doesn't do any dividing or splitting for you, though.

Reply to
That70sTick

You are a Genius!!

That exactly duplicates autocads divide command. I rarely use datum point hence my absolute ignorance.

Thanks,

Zander

Reply to
Zander

Insert Datum Points? In a Part or Drawing or Both? I can Insert Points but don't see how to make even intervals. Where is this???

Reply to
George

Under reference geometry, points, apply to a sketch or body edge, then pick # and spacing type.

Reply to
Zander

thanks Zander... I can't believe I have overlooked that reference Feature all this time!!!!

Reply to
George

Reply to
Diego