Limit mates + configurations question

I just wanted to check and be sure that limit mates are actually not configurable. Starting in 2006 we can double click the mate and change the position on a configuration by configuration basis but I see no way to access the dims for the start and stop positions to change their values using equations or configurations. Am I missing something or is this a limitation?

I ask because I will be giving a user group presentation that shows a technique for using an algorithmic surface to create a 'limit' mate; the neat part is that the surface can be driven by model geometry to update automatically and/or be changed on a configuration by configuration basis.

I just want to be sure that I am not giving a bogus workaround for something that is not, in fact, a prblem in the first place.

Thanks in advacne for your response, Ed

Reply to
ed1701

Are you having a race to see who answers the question first? Your VAR or us? I don't have 2006 loaded yet but I am interested in the answer.....

KM

Reply to
kmaren24

Ken, I had passed on the VAR route because I have had very litle luck getting through to someone in the past 6 months or so. Also, I figured I had a larger pool to draw from here for a simple yea/nae. But Ken, you goaded me into the VAR route and I have to say that, after being on hold for a long while and getting a little annoyed at the process, I was very impressed when I got an answer in a follow up call.

Here's how it works (next I wonder if its doucmented anywhere!) Double click the limit mate to access the dim on screen. Double click the dim to change it. Of course, choose 'this configuration only'. When you clicked it the dim is the current position of the element within the limit, but when you change it it becomes something different

- it becomes the 'middle' of the limit range. Hit the check mark, go to the PROPERTY MANAGER and change the tolerance on the middle dimension. The plus and minus from your middle mark sets the limits! Very cool catch, Nick at CATI.

I wonder if this is widely known? And we still can't find a way to control the limit points by equations or a design table

Reply to
ed1701

Thanks for the info.

Can't wait to give this a shot when I get to load 2006.

KM.

Reply to
kmaren24

Works in 2005 too.

Reply to
ed1701

I have an idea to try for adding the limit dimensions. Those dimensions have to be there somewhere. They may not be visible but maybe they can be "guessed" as to what there name is? This sounds simplistic and probably has no shot at working but hopefully today I will see if I can get it to work.

KM

Reply to
kmaren24