Lock Assembleys ?

Hello,

how to handle, in the following question ?

the issue is that I made some parts/assembleys whith several configurations, these ass./parts I use in other ass. and there I suppress some features/ or parts to leaf them temp. out.

Is there a way to do this, whithout effecting the original part or ass. so can I close the door behind me, when the part or ass. is in ???

With frendly greetings,

Paul van Uden

Reply to
Paul van Uden

Paul,

If I understand your question correctly, you are wondering if there is a way for you to suppress features or parts (from within some other assembly) and avoid having those suppressions affect the original files?

I'd say the answer is YES, as long as you have configurations which can be dedicated to the different assemblies.

In other words, for example, if Part1 is referenced in three assemblies and you want the changes (suppression or display state, etc.) to be independent, then it will be necessary to have one configuration of the part for each assembly.

Similarly, if you have an assembly being referenced as a Sub-Assembly in more than one upper level Assembly, then (to keep the changes separate) the sub-assembly will need a configuration dedicated to each upper level one.

It's quite easy to create configurations. The challenge, however, can often be to manage their use.

I keep h> Hello,

Reply to
POH

If you make new configurations each time that you suppress some features or parts, then the original configurations won't be affected.

Jerry Steiger

Aren't you both leaving out a valuable piece of info? To keep changes out of other configs, you need to "lock the gates" on the other configs. Each config has a setting/s that prevent changes to other configs from coming in and affecting them. Do a RMB on the config name, choose Properties, and you will find options to Suppress new features and mates, Suppress features, etc.

It's handy to know how those settings work and to be able to manipulate them easily. I have a macro that goes through all the configs and either turns on or turns off the Suppress new features and mates or the Suppress features setting. The thought is that you may have 30 or 40 configs. You are working on a particular one, and you realize that what you are about to do, you would prefer to have done to all 40 of them. So, run the macro to turn off the setting (unlock the gate) in all configs, add the feature, etc, then run it again to turn them all on (lock the gate) again.

WT

***
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Absolutely! I think you answered the question that Paul was asking. Per and I jumped right over it.

Jerry Steiger