MARCH2006 Model Challenge

After re-reading the original post, I see that I ignored most of TOP's instructions for submissions. Sorry TOP. A little too much enthusiasm.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Well actually I just realized that a revolve feature has a temporary axis, and the centerline for revolve feature doesn't need to be vertical...

To be honest, I would never have believed that this can be modeled with so few features.

-h-

Reply to
Heikki Leivo

Interesting. My second had 6 features, and is also faster than my 3 feature version. Perhaps TOP will be kind enough to post feature statistics for each model so we can compare?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Ok, my model can allow this, by deleting an equar relation. This connectivity idea sounds interesting. Is that what should make them unfoldable? I've been thinking about trying to rip this thing and unfold it.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Interesting. That's not what I thought you did. I resubmitted a model using the dimension from the revolve for my circular pattern. I wonder if it's that temp axis that's killing your rebuild time. I had a look around, and sharing sketches doesn't seem to help either.

That's two of us (at least).

I wondered briefly what the maximum number of features is, but I don't really feel like finding out.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Sharing sketches is a cool way to reduce the total amount of features, but as a result I had to use contour selecting. By using multiple sketches I was able to cut the rebuild time from 3.52s to 0.70s. However, I was not able to beat my second, more complex model, which rebuilds in 0.38s, so I did not bother to send my last version.

Of course the rebuild times can be compared only on same computer.

-h-

Reply to
Heikki Leivo

Yeah... What kind of computer are you using? My Athlon64 3400+ solved all my versions in under 1s (I think. I'd remember more than 3s). My fastest is close to yours though. You must have some mean contour select going on there...

TOP, should he submit this extra model, at least for study purposes?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I can't quite understand the factors of rebuild time. Earlier today I got

0.7s rebuild time but now I can't get under 0.9s with the very same model. (Somehow this made me think that maybe I should get a life instead of hunting for 0.2 seconds)

I have Dell Precision M60, 1,7GHz, 1GB RAM. Interesting detail is that unplugging the power source drops the cpu to 560MHz, but it does not affect the rebuild time.

-h-

Reply to
Heikki Leivo

I spent some time with one of those recently. I didn't get a complete grip on what it was doing to clock speeds, but I figured out how to force it to full speed, even on battery power. I just couldn't stand using SW at low speed.

I doesn't adjust clock speed according to demand, does it?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

The official timing machine is an XP 3000+ on an ASUS mobo with 1GB ram. NVidia 500XGL graphics card. This is slow enough that small differences should be noted.

TSToolbox will be used for timing.

Reply to
TOP

Just wanted to get this thread back to the top of the list. TOP, have you gotten any more entries? Could you post them somewhere so we can see how the others did it? I'm curious how some did it with so few features.

Timelord

Reply to
Timelord

I'm getting ready to post them. I had the NISWUG meeting to get ready. That is over with and now we can put the models up on their web site. This is next on my list of things to do.

I must say there are just about as many solutions as there are entrants.

Reply to
TOP

Are these posted somewhere? I'd really like to see how everyone modeled this thing.

T> I'm getting ready to post them. I had the NISWUG meeting to get ready.

Reply to
Gryzz

Just waiting for stragglers.

Reply to
TOP

Come on TOP, mid April already! At least post the models somewhere so we can see how others did it, even if you cannot pick a winner.

Timelord

Reply to
Timelord

I have gone through the first pass of evaluations. Quite interesting. The most complex model won the rebuild speed award while the very simple 2 sketch model was second. I have class tommorrow evening so I'll try to get them up on the web site Friday. Sorry about the wait. :)

Could I have the respondents send me information on their timezones. For example I am UTC - 5 hours. I think Ed was -6 and Heikki +2. Not so sure about Dale and Kim.

Reply to
TOP

+2 confirmed.

-h-

Reply to
Heikki Leivo

According to Windows, I'm at GMT-5. I'm curious what you will use this information for though.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Who got done first. Heikki has a 7 hour penalty to be adjusted for. If his model says he finished at 9am his time he really finished 2am your time. It's part of the scoring.

Reply to
TOP