master model approaches

I'd like to collect some of your ideas on master model approaches.

Master models can be solids or surfaces, but not all the tools work for both. Split and Save Bodies only work for solid bodies, not surfaces. These functions push bodies from the parent. I'm aware of all the discussion around the detriments of using the split feature to save out bodies as parts.

There are also the Insert, Part and Insert into New part functions. These basically pull bodies to the child, and work both for solids and surfaces.

Please comment on techniques you use and why or why not. Again, stuff that's been hashed here before on the subject doesn't need to be addressed again. File management, advantages, disadvantages, workarounds, impressions, whatever.

How do you get around the fact that you can't transfer sketches from one part to another without using assemblies?

Reply to
matt

I saw the ship builder presentation, if that's what you're talking about.

Reply to
matt

I've transferred sketches from one to another (parent/master, to child created with insert-part) by extruding a surface from the sketch which will transfer to the child. Then I convert the edges of that surface in the child

I didn't see you mention configs + delete bodies as another technique - this is good when the rebuild time is short becasue all dims transfer to the drawing.

I tried to go through the plusses and m> I'd like to collect some of your ideas on master model approaches. >

Reply to
ed1701