Mate References

Is it possible to have a mate reference for a part that isn't physically attached to the part itself? What I would like to do is have a sketch in a part that I could use to position (mate) the part into an assembly. Example: I have a plate with (2) holes in it that show up about (30) places in my top level assembly, the customer now wants a gusset plate welded to it between the (2) holes. In the gusset part itself I made a sketch of the plate with the (2) holes, my thought was making a mate reference using that sketch of the hole(s) so I could then drag the part from the feature pallette and mate it "automatically" in the assembly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Harris Cobey Inc.

Reply to
Brian Harris

Yes, this can be done with a hidden surface body. I made a revolved surface from an "L" shape to make a cylinder with a flange, and used the circular edge between the round and the flat for the mate reference. Works well.

matt

snipped-for-privacy@cobey.com (Brian Harris) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
matt

I might suggest using a temporary sub assembly

1) Make an assembly containing your plate with the holes and the gusset mated as they should be 2) open your Main assembly and replace part (your plate with your new assembly) 3) then you can disolve your 30 new subassemblys.

Corey Scheich

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Corey, Thanks for the idea - I did give that a thought & do agree it would work in this particular situation. It's just that the mate reference approach would come in handy in alot of other instances as well.

Thanks again

Brian Harris Cobey Inc.

Reply to
Brian Harris

Matt, Thanks for the idea - I'll give it a try and let you know how it worked.

Brian Harris Cobey Inc.

Reply to
Brian Harris