Mates & Construction Lines

Everyone,

Is it possible to use construction lines in an assembly to mate to. Like if you has two boxes that you wanted to make 12" apart from each other center to center, if I had drawn construction lines beforehand, it does not let me pick the construction lines to use in mates...

Thanks,

Tim

Reply to
Tim

If it doesn't let you do that try making an axis off of each construction line in the part file maybe rename them Central Axis1 or something.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Tim. I have done that, so it should not be a problem. I assume you have a sketch in each part and they are visible in the assembly and you select both and then mate? Should work. I sometimes do this with centers of rotation before I have the features necessary to create "real world" mates.

A better practice, and maybe a time saver, is to use planes to mate. If you use the lines, you may need extra mates to define the xyz. Either use the world planes - which may already be where you want them depending on how you model - or create place where you want them. I think you will find that more controlled than with construction lines. But in the end, it really depends what you are doing.

Daniel

Reply to
daniel