new kind of lockup

I have been getting a new kind of lockup in SolidWorks since we have upgraded to 2007. I am wondering if anyone else out there is experiencing this. The other variable here is we have recently upgraded most of our designers to dual monitors.

This most often happens when trying to open a assembly or drawing. And when doing so the model or drawing will get to the point where it will show you the graphics and allow you to pan and spin, but the model tree never loads and the little status progress bar (typically green and in the lower left bar) never shows any of the green bars like it is doing something.

The weird state of this is that you can get to all the drop down menus and spin the model and everything acts like solidworks is still there mentally. Even when you check Task Manager it says the app is responding. But if you actually click any drop down - nothing happens. So even though in this state it looks like you can do stuff, all it acts like is that it is crashed. You can leave it in this state for quite a while and the model tree will never show up.

The other interesting thing is that the title bar of the application goes to the inactive color (typically a lighter blue). My thought is that a dialog box is opening up somewhere where I cannot see it or answer it and this is why solidworks is behaving this way. But to date I have no idea how to figure this one out.

I have tried reloading both OS and SolidWorks, even messed around quite a bit with video card settings. We have standardaized on nVida and there are options to force the display of dialog boxes and such in there on particular monitors. But so far none of this has been successful.

We also have DBWorks in the mix and I haven't totally ruled out its interaction as well.

Any others out there with ideas?

--Matt

Reply to
matt.feider

That happened to me at an "Advanced" assemblies class using SP-0. The VAR instructor pooh-poohed it, showed me how to fix it. I can't remember what I did.

Reply to
JKimmel

Hi Matt,

This is the exact error I've been having since 2007 as well, I've reported it to my var 2 or 3 times but it's not easily reproducable. This is the same error that led to a corrupted assembly in a recent topic I posted.

At first it happened mainly with drawings - and I thought that loading drawings lightweight was the culprit. But that has proven to not be the case. I've started saving everything before I open a drawing. Please let me know if you find anything....

Zander

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Zander

Hi Matt

Yep just the same, since 2007 now at sp2.2.

Mainly with assembly drawings, can be simple but not reproducible.

win xp32, SW premium.

2x opteron 154, 2x 10,000 rpm disk, 4 Gb ram, nvidia fx3450, 24" 1920 x 1200 LCD.

Steve

Zander wrote:

Reply to
solid steve

Matt, have you tried the "use Software OpenGL only" option to rule out graphics card problem?

Regards

Mark

Reply to
mbiasotti

I have not tried that yet, but I plan too. We do have an nvidia 3450 with I think the approved driver version in this machine and not had had problems before, but who knows maybe something is going on with the driver or version I have loaded. I have about 10 other people apparently having this issue as well and who have not been saying anything as they thought it was just a normal crash. They have all various nVidia drivers and cards.

I do have 3 gig mode enabled on this machine, that is another thing that I might turn off just to see if there is an effect.

--Matt

Reply to
Matt Feider

You have the switch turned on - do you have a user value set also? If so, what is the number?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I've been speaking to my var about this issue for about 2 months - just now I've heard back that this issue may be somehow connected to using dual-monitors.

I do use dual 19" lcd's on a FX1400. So are you or anyone else with this issue using dual display?

Zander

Matt Feider wrote:

Reply to
Zander

yes, we do use dual monitors (and as far as I know the users that don't have this issue are still only on one monitor) and I have been suspecting for sometime that that is part of the problem as we have just started changing to these. I have been running dual monitors for

2 years now, but alot of the designers only for the last few months and at about the same time we upgraded to 2007.

One troublesome thing I am experiencing is the setup. Normal users can mess with these settings so I am not sure if there are specific areas to review. As some users (when left and right monitors are screwed up) instead of changing the hardware connections use the nVidia settings to flip there monitors or use the Windows settings to drag the 2nd window to the left of the 1st window. There are also some that use horizontal span rather than DualView, etc there are just a ton of options to do this.

This is another area (though it will be like pulling teeth) is going to be to take a monitor away for a few days to see if the issue goes away.

--Matt

Zander wrote:

Reply to
matt.feider

typically I add /userva=2900 as I don't like taking all the resources. I think that is the lowest you can go, but I would have to look this up again.

--Matt

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
matt.feider

I occasionally get this and I'm on 2006 - so it's not a "new kind of lockup"!

John H

Reply to
John H

It seems like I get this once a day. I have a dual monitor setup as well. It seems to only happen when opening large assemblies, so perhaps the large assemlby mode is a possible culprit. -Matt.

John H wrote:

Reply to
Matt Johnson

This may not be a factor; however, it's worth taking a look at the System Options menu for SolidWorks (Tools/Options in the main menu) to check the Performance setting for "No preview during open (faster)".

The only thing you lose by placing a checkmark by the option is a shaded preview which can be dynamically rotated, etc. for viewing while the file opens.

I've found the typical reducti> It seems like I get this once a day. I have a dual monitor setup as

Reply to
POH

Zander,

Same problem - Dual Monitors (Dell 20" Widescreens). Started happening around the same time we upgraded to 2007. So much for waiting until SP 2.0.

Len

Zander wrote:

Reply to
lmar