New pdf writter vs old - opinions?

I have am trying to get our computers upgraded to SolidWorks 2006, but I am worried about some comments on the new Adobe pdf writer added at SP2.1 (I believe it was at that point). What is the general feeling about this change? Should I upgrade to SP2 or move to SP3.3? We do create many pdf's here where I work. Thanks in advance, Brad

Reply to
Brad

I gave up on SW's (lame) attempts at pdf a long time ago.

For relatively short money (free to a few hundred dollars) you can get a fully featured pdf writer that a) actually works, b) works with all your programs and c) doesn't change with random service packs.

we're using ScanSoft's PDF Create, which as I recall was about $40, and I'm quite satisfied with it.

Reply to
Michael
3.4 is supposed to be out Today or Monday -- some check marks related to configuration specific options just disappeared in 3.3

According to the release notes of 3.3 -- 3.3 added the option to embed fonts & Export PDF in color were added. However I have not tried it.

Steve t.

Reply to
SteveT

What?!?! Do you mean that you can now make color PDFs?!?! WOW!!! They have "added" yet another functionality, THAT WAS ALREADY THERE BEFORE THE CHANGE TO ADOBE!!!! Don't let'em fool ya. It wasn't added. It was FIXED!!!

Oh, please don't get me started on this subject!!! I was almost over it, since I finally rolled-back an empty workstation so that I could use the BlueBeam add-in...

Reply to
Seth Renigar

your right they fixed it. yeah bluebeam add in was soooo much better then abode -- I thought that was the whole reason they went with bluebeam to begin with 2x the resolution at about half the filesize.

bluebeam is still a solution partner & the solidworks addin can be purchase separately -- I think they have a special right now (rest of this month) for only $49

I have feeling that bluebeam left solidworks & not solidworks dropping bluebeam.

Steve T.

Reply to
SteveT

Guys guys guys... try this one out. As with a few other's comments. This one also works with any program with a Print function. And its even cheaper then 40$!

Google PDF995

(sorry cant memba the site off top of my head!)

Reply to
Anonymous

We used to use this in my last job. You have to download several different files to install all the functionality, but it works well.

The free version pops up an annoying browser window linking you to their website, but you can probably block that with your firewall.

The paid-for version is cheap.

Regards, John Harland

Reply to
John H

"SteveT" a écrit dans le message de news: meoLf.16075$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...

PDF creator is free and works well. May not be the choice if you're looking for the smallest file possible.

Reply to
Jean Marc

"Jean Marc" a écrit dans le message de news:

44030c94$0$15234$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...

Look for " PDFCreator", it seems that there is a "PDF Creator" which is not free.

Reply to
Jean Marc

"Brad" wrote in news:1140700814.841081.31910 @i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

My suggestion would be to use one of the free PDF printer drivers to create your PDFs (eg PDF995, CutePDF, or PDF Creator) rather than the Adobe PDF writer.

The only drawback that I have is that the PDF printer drivers can't be easily accessed using the SW API.

Reply to
Tony Lissington