PDF Quality with Shaded Drawing Views

Somebody please help me. Ever since SW moved away from Bluebeam several years ago, I have not been able to create good quality PDFs, from drawings that contain shaded views. They are terribly pixilated. Luckily, since taking this job, I have not had a need to create PDF for the last few years, until now.

We are currently using SW2007 SP4.0 (moving to SW2008 or SW2009 in the near future). Anyway, I know about the options to save the PDF in high quality. I have that checked. I also have the resolution set to high quality in the Page Setup, and the Image Quality set to the max in the Document Properties, for whatever that's worth. I have tried different settings for lineweights in the print setup. And, I have tried everything else I can think of to create good quality PDFs using the =93save as PDF=94 function. But it doesn=92t work. They don=92t even appear to make any differences.

To make things even worse, I have tried a couple external PDF writers with no better results. I used PDF995 due to reading that others had good results with it. However, I didn=92t. There are no real options in PDF995 to improve the quality either.

I have also tried Adobe Acrobat 6.0 (the latest version we own), which you would think would work great. I have tried adjusting every quality setting I can find in Acrobat, but the quality does not seem to get any better.

This is NOT specific to this computer either, as I have had several computers over the last few years with the same results.

With all this being said, it stands to reason that it=92s got to be something within SolidWorks that is preventing me from creating quality PDFs.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Reply to
srenigar

Just a thought, something I found years ago, was that the PDF file quaility depends on the monitor settings that you have. For that reason I have a HP1230 monitor that is set to max resolution when saving as PDF.

I don't know if that has changed since though.

Reply to
pfarnham

I have an HP LP3065 (30") with the resolution set to the max. (2560 x

1600). But I have had the same problem on smaller monitors (19's, 21's, etc.) set at various resolutions.
Reply to
srenigar

I don?t know what exactly you need high quality PDF for, but I have been using SW PDF out for years (I'm on 2008) and I don?t see anything really bad about its output, yes it is far from perfect, but when you conceder quality to file size ration, it think it is right there where most of us would want it to be (not saying that some user control of output wouldn't be handy). We save all prints to PDF than we make hard copies out of PDF and quality is ok for printing or on screen viewing.

Now... if for some reason you really need higher res on the PDF you can try use larger sheet format and scale everything accordingly ( use C size instead of A and make the view twice bigger) but I don?t think it is worth it

We are currently using SW2007 SP4.0 (moving to SW2008 or SW2009 in the near future). Anyway, I know about the options to save the PDF in high quality. I have that checked. I also have the resolution set to high quality in the Page Setup, and the Image Quality set to the max in the Document Properties, for whatever that's worth. I have tried different settings for lineweights in the print setup. And, I have tried everything else I can think of to create good quality PDFs using the ?save as PDF? function. But it doesn?t work. They don?t even appear to make any differences.

To make things even worse, I have tried a couple external PDF writers with no better results. I used PDF995 due to reading that others had good results with it. However, I didn?t. There are no real options in PDF995 to improve the quality either.

I have also tried Adobe Acrobat 6.0 (the latest version we own), which you would think would work great. I have tried adjusting every quality setting I can find in Acrobat, but the quality does not seem to get any better.

This is NOT specific to this computer either, as I have had several computers over the last few years with the same results.

With all this being said, it stands to reason that it?s got to be something within SolidWorks that is preventing me from creating quality PDFs.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Reply to
mr.T

n using SW PDF out for years (I'm on 2008) and I

ect, but when you conceder quality to file size

not saying that some user control of output

t of PDF and quality is ok for printing or on

ry use larger sheet format and scale everything

I don=92t think it is worth it

snipped-for-privacy@e15g2000vbe.googlegroups.com...

I guess I didn't make it clear that when the drawings views are NOT shaded, I do get great quality PDFs. It's only when I have shaded views that this problem exist. When SW used Bluebeam, I got great quality shaded view PDFs too. But ever since they went to Adobe, shaded views are terrible.

I know this is a few years too late to be complaining about this problem. But over the years I would try it with shaded view drawings from time to time, with no luck. So I had basically given up on it when there was a drawing with shaded views. However I am at the point where I am going to have to start creating PDFs regularly now. So I need to figure out whats going on.

Reply to
srenigar

I'm having the same issue... shaded models with large assembly doesn't seem to export high quality PDF. I wonder if below is anything to do with it. You need at least 256 MB Graphics Card. I would greatly appreciate it if you would let me know with any solution you may have found.

New PDF Export Options These options have been added to the PDF Export Options dialog box: ? High quality lines. For drawings only. Vectored lines are drawn double precision for best quality. Increases file size and time to save file. ? Shaded/Draft geometry DPI. For drawings only. Controls dots per inch setting. An increased value improves quality while increasing file size and time to save file. ? High quality shaded edges. For drawings only. The edges of shaded views are drawn with vectors instead of being raster-drawn. Increases time to save file. The High quality (shaded, draft drawing views) option has been removed.

Low-Memory Graphics Cards and Windows Vista or Windows 7 If you use Windows Vista or Windows 7 and have a graphics card with 256 MB of memory or less, SolidWorks now suppresses some advanced display features. RealView is not affected by this change.

Reply to
PDF Pixilated

Did you tried printing as PDF?? Try CutePDF

or Primo PDF

Deepak Gupta

"Please consider the environment before printing this email"

" The good you do today, pe> I'm having the same issue... shaded models with large assembly doesn't se=

em to export high quality PDF.

you may have found.