Self changing/updating dimensions

I just had long discussion with our QC lady (some dimensions changed by them self again, we call it here "underground Nazi's work")

And this got me thinking wouldn't it be nice if when you open a drawing SW would somehow highlight dimensions that changed since last save

Reply to
mr.T

Hi Mr.T We've had similar problems here in the past. Heres some things we did to prevent this.

1.Ensure all sketches are fully defined. 2.Once a design is complete Lock all external references (stops one part accidently updating another) 3.With sheetmetal we had problems when going from one release to another, we had to goto each feature and set the end allowance there rather than having a global bend allowance. This problem only seems to happen will calling up old sheetmetal models into later releases. 4.Use design tables with the dimensions locked so that only chnages via the design table will update the dimension. 5.Keep pdf's of all your drawings so you've got something to refer back to. Seems excessive but we let the rest of the factory have these and only let engineers near the solidworks models.

Hope this helps ken

mr.T wrote:

self again, we call it here "underground

would somehow highlight dimensions that

Reply to
Ken Carpenter

I'm glad you mentioned this................. (yes, long pause here)

start rant

Solidworks is a very robust and powerful tool but with this comes a severe handicap. Things changing and updating behind the scenes unknowingly or without warning. What I am talking about specifically is opening up a drawing and doing something but something else unknowingly changes upon rebuild without any indication to the user. By changes I mean the following....

DIMENSIONS (capitalized) notes with custom properties or linked to dims. custom properties BILL OF MATERIAL PROPERTIES (notice this is capitalized again) hole callouts etc, etc...

these are the things in a drawing that would be great if there was something done to let the user know of any changes.

Now I know of the draw/compare function but this definitely falls under the "half-baked" category. This type of functionality needs to happen upon opening up a drawing in real time without consciously doing something else.

Let me explain what I have in mind... (I mentioned this to someone at the 2006 SolidWorks World too) When opening a drawing there should be a database in written in the file of what each value is for all the ORIGINAL notes, dimensions, custom properties, and B.O.M. properties. When the drawing rebuilds the system should (this would be a system option on/off of course to happen at this time) compare all this data to the new rebuild and "highlight" (I used the same terminology as well) all the dims, properties, B.O.M. entries that are going to change, be deleted, or added. It would then be brought to your attention that other things happened that you wouldn't have originally thought would update. Especially on a job that you haven't looked at in a while. Or even if you are just referencing old or obsolete files. ( I know this has never happened to anyone in this group!).

Now what would be really cool (EXTREMELY HELPFUL) is if we could save this "highlighted" or marked up drawing to a pdf file that we could look at or print later to check the newly generated drawing that you are now going to have to save. I picture it having things not highlighted if they are the same value. If something has changed it gets highlighted a certain color based on if its "changed", "added", or will be "deleted".

Now I know that we can still compare to the original file but this is essentially an automated task and would significantly reduce errors and save a tremendous amount time. It would also save embarrassment issues in meetings when someone asks why something is different on a drawing but you don't know why.... all you did was open and save the damn thing!!!!

anyways... I would enjoy any comments or even other suggestions to this drawing nightmare issue. and just to save time. PDM software DOES NOT FIX THIS PROBLEM.

Don

Reply to
dvanzile3

Reply to
Ken Carpenter

Ken,

What you have to do to prevent this is when opening up anything new, Is to take a deep breath, close your eyes, hold your breath and count to

2000 real slow.