nVidia Question??

We are upgrading our workstations, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the nVidia Quadro FX700. It seems that a lot of people use the FX 500, I was wondering about the performance difference. The nVidia web site does show some better numbers, but I was wondering about in the real world.

The new systems will be an Intel system with 3+ ghz (800fbs) 1mb cash, 1gb of duel channel memory, win xp pro.

Is it worth the extra $500 canadian to go to the fx700??

Thanks Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Scheeringa

Hello Kevin- The FX700 requires an extra power connector from the power supply, whereas the FX500 does not. So, the power supply should be >300 watts if the FX700 is used. Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell

We tested the 500, 700, and 1100, here in our office a few weeks ago. And while I don't recall the exact numbers or what SolidWorks benchmark was used, the 700 kicked the 500's ass, and we really didn't see enough of a difference b/t the 700 and 1100 to warrant spending the extra money. Hope this helps.

Todd

Reply to
Todd

dont get a quadro at all get the 6800 costs less and you can soft mod it to a quadro anyhow

Reply to
duke

Well thank you for the advice. We did end up going for the 500. The money we saved we put into a faster processor and doubled our memory to 2gb. If we find that we are having troubles with the 500, our supplier will trade in the 500 and upgrade to the 700.. This is the same supplier as our var, he recommended going this route.

Todd could you take a quick look and see if you could find the numbers??

Thanks Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Scheeringa

See Mike Wilson 's post on "New Quadro FX Comparisons/Reviews" I found this link to be well worth the read.

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

Hi

Here are the numbers from the SPEC benchmark that we did.

Results in sec. Test 1 Test 2 Test 3 Ave FX500 86 86 86 86.00 FX700 71 70 70 70.33 FX1100 70 71 71 70.67 FX3000 69 71 70 70.00

Don't remember the specs of the machine exactly -- 3.2GHz Pentium and 4 GB RAM.

Reply to
Todd