Question about Dual Core.

Is there a great increase in performance with going with a "Duel Core" as
oppose to a higher processor speed?
We are upgrading a workstation here @ work.
We are looking are running photo, works Illustrator and photo shop.
Processor choices:
1.. Intel® Pentium® D Processor 830, 3.00GHz, DC, 2X 1MB L2, 800,EN
2.. Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 650, 3.40GHz, 2MB L2, 800MHz,English
If we go with the cheaper processor we could up grade the video card.
The rest of the system will consist of:
Win XP sp2
2GB, 667MHz, DDR2 SDRAM Memory, ECC
Samsung 940B 19" LCD
128MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 1400
Or is it really worth the extra $450 to move up to:
256MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 3450
We are running SW 2006 sp3
Any opinions would really help
Thanks
Kevin
Reply to
Kevin Scheeringa
There is a great write-up about "Dual Core" processor performance on Tom's Hardware. The link to the article is:

YouGoFirst
We just relegated a 3.4Ghz pentium to general office use and replaced it with an AMD 4400+ for a considerable performance increase and improved stability. If you are just bottlenecking on SW then the FX5x series is the way to go. If you plan to do a lot of large assembly drawings then the 4800+ might be the better choice.
Reply to
TOP

Site Timeline