Question about Dual Core.

Is there a great increase in performance with going with a "Duel Core" as oppose to a higher processor speed?

We are upgrading a workstation here @ work.

We are looking are running photo, works Illustrator and photo shop.

Processor choices:

1.. Intel® Pentium® D Processor 830, 3.00GHz, DC, 2X 1MB L2, 800,EN 2.. Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 650, 3.40GHz, 2MB L2, 800MHz,English If we go with the cheaper processor we could up grade the video card.

The rest of the system will consist of:

Win XP sp2

2GB, 667MHz, DDR2 SDRAM Memory, ECC

Samsung 940B 19" LCD

128MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 1400

Or is it really worth the extra $450 to move up to:

256MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX 3450

We are running SW 2006 sp3

Any opinions would really help

Thanks

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Scheeringa

There is a great write-up about "Dual Core" processor performance on Tom's Hardware. The link to the article is:

YouGoFirst

We just relegated a 3.4Ghz pentium to general office use and replaced it with an AMD 4400+ for a considerable performance increase and improved stability. If you are just bottlenecking on SW then the FX5x series is the way to go. If you plan to do a lot of large assembly drawings then the 4800+ might be the better choice.

Reply to
TOP