Poor college student needs computer. Dell T3400 refurbished?

I'm an engineering student...... no computer at the
moment. Cost is an issue
Looking at the Dell T3400 in outlet. Can be had in $500
range less monitor
First off... I haven't kept up with Del workstation
hardware..... this one is new to me. Is it good?
Want to be able to eventually run solids modelers,
etc..... not at the moment but have some run to upgrade
in case I need to
specs as follows:
Operating System
Genuine Windows XP Pro
Memory
1 GB DDR2 NON-ECC SDRAM 677MHz (2 DIMMs)
Hard Disk Drive
80 GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
Video
256MB PCIe x16 nVidia NVS 290, Dual Monitor DVI Capable
Certified Refurbished
Certified Refurbished
Base
Precision Workstation T3400 Mini-Tower: Intel Core 2
Duo E4300 (1.80GHz/800MHz/2MB L2) 525W
Media Bay
48X Max Variable CD ROM Drive
Hardware Upgrade
Desktop Chassis Configuration
Hardware is Microsoft Vista Capable
Internal Speaker
USB Keyboard
USB Keyboard
USB 2 Button Mouse
Reply to
me
The computer sounds a good deal for the money. It would run AutoCAD fine as long as any 3D model does not get too big. As far as solid modeling goes you should read the requirements for Autodesk Inventor.
I'm not sure what the requirements of any other solid modeling programs are.
Daryl
Reply to
sakoguy
But..... I'm thinking abt running this workstation as a "home server' as well.....where it may be on much of the day maybe 24/7. hence the concern abt power usage and heat generated.
Reply to
me
Unless you install a server operating system it will be a workstation that stays on 24/7. Storing and sharing files does not necessarily use up much capacity. If you are trying to make a domain controller for a network, then the computer you are looking at will not do everything you need it to do. It sounds like you want or need a high end system. You are probably not going to get one for $500.
Daryl
Reply to
sakoguy
well I was hoping to use the workstation in its "off" time as a vide and TV recorder...that is install a TV tuner card in it to record off the air TV....and to do that will need to leave it on for extended periods of time....hence the concern abt energy efficiency and all
Not a good idea?
Reply to
me
Boy, you are expecting a lot out of a second hand refurb computer. All of the needs/wants you keep adding to this thread point to the need for a pretty high end workstation or gaming machine. Both of these would have the memory, CPU, drive space, etc. for all of the resource consuming functions you want. The $500 PC you are looking at will not do all of these effectively. A new Dell XPS or Workstation class PC would. But you will need a minimum of 2GB of fast RAM, the most CPU you can afford, dual CPUs(for the solid modeling) if possible, and the biggest and fastest drives you can afford.
Daryl
Reply to
sakoguy
Possibly!
Ok maybe I need to up the amount spent then?
What abt $800 without a monitor?
I can cabbage around get a donated tube monitor I'm sure..from someone
Reply to
me