Old laptop works well with SW2007 but slows down after a few minutes

I have SW2007 running on an HP pavilion laptop with a radeon 9600.

What's odd is that it works great for a few minutes but slows down to intolerable speed after a few minutes. I'm monitoring the temperature of the CPU and it goes from 50 to 56 degrees under full load but the fans kick in and it gets no hotter.

Interestingly, I can shrink the screen to 80% its size using the window resize command in XP and I get full 3D rotation speed instantly. When I max the screen back to 100% its back to super- slow. I can go back and forth seeing this happen each time. I try to leave it at 80% to see if I can get some work done and it eventually slows down in that mode too. This makes me think it's driver related and not thermal related.

I try going to ATI's webpage to download the latest drivers (I'm already running HP's latest) and they say its legacy (of course) but they did provide me with version 9.3 of the catalyst drivers. I run it and it says no supported hardware found.

I've changed all opengl settings to "performance". I'm not sure what else to try.

Anyone else have any diagnosis tips for this? Yes, it's a slow laptop and graphics card but it's paid for and runs great until the slowdown happens. If I can figure out why the slowdown is happening, I'm golden.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Matt Smith

tnik