Open GL option

I had a display issue with solidwork 08 while running it on vista. However, this problem was corrected by checking the "Software Open GL" tab found under the options tab. I was wondering if there was any disadvantage to running in this mode permanently. Right now my video card is a less than desirable Radeon 1650, but works with this Open GL option checked. So basically my question is, should I upgrade to a Quadro or newly approved ATI FireGL, or can I simply keep running it in this Open GL option w/ negligible performance limitations

Graham

Reply to
Philbrick.GR

Not negligible. What you are telling the system is that the video card isn't up to the task, so use the main processor to control all the screen activity. With a proper video card, the screen processing is controlled by the card, thereby allowing the main processor to work on everything else.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

The setting is "use software opengl" on the Performance tab. It is just disabling your video card hardwar altogether, and replacing it with software. If you just had a radeon, you won't notice any differnce, proly. Both slowern hell. Radeom proly crashers more. Only upgrade if the graphics are too slow for you and you got work to do and your on selery.

Daisy.

Reply to
PotFlower

fair enough, thanks a bunch