OT: Sline -> Arcs & SP2 frustrations

Hi there!

First:

Has anyone got a good Spline conversion tool (preferably free) that could convert Sline to arcs. Spline to teeny-weeny lines is not an option, and I can archieve this by saving my dxf to ver12... my goal is to convert a logo I made for Laser cutter from slines to arcs, cause their software don't understand splines.

Second:

What the H*** happened to SP2? temporarily offline!?!?!? I downloaded it allready! even applied it to my administration image to server... tried to install it on my comp... NO CAN DO! Just wasted ~4hours with toying around with it! THANK YOU SW, Again...

(I'm starting to think, that we are not going to get SW2004 to work before year 2005 [after 2005 is published])

-Arto

Reply to
Arto Kvick

I can do a macro for this in minutes if you didn't use the spline tangency control. If you did, well it will be much harder... Send me your logo so that I can use it for testing.

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

That would be the answer to my prayers as well. In the mean time, the best I have found is to use 3 point arc to trace over the splines. A bit time consuming, but the only viable solution thus far. You will likely get replies here telling you to buy this or that software, but for the money, I'll keep on tracing.

"Arto Kvick" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mygate.mailgate.org:

Hi,

Rhino has a tool under the edit menu that does exactly this.

Zander

Reply to
Zander

I just made the Splines2Arcs macro for you which automates the 3 point arc time consuming work... See

is "free", but you're welcome to pay a few bucks. Click the PayPal button!

Philippe Guglielmetti -

Philippe Guglielmetti

Interesting! I just tried it and it worked the first time but it didn't trace the spline very tightly. Is there a tolerance setting?

I tried it a second time and it failed.

Pretty cool though!

Mike Wilson.

Mike J. Wilson

The macro is pretty basic right now. It draws arcs between each pair of control points in your spline. A "tolerance setting would" require to interpolate the spline. Anywone is welcome to improve the macro.... it is "Open Source"!

I hate such comments ;-) I prefer: "I did this and that, I got this error and I e-mail you the data so that you can have a look and fix what's wrong" Believe me, that's 99% of what we need to make good software...

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

Well, I found a (simpler than i though) way to do it. The Splines2Arcs.swp on

now has some hard-coded tolerancing that should fit most needs. You'll probably ask me now to constrain the arcs automatically... ok.... tomorrow ?

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

Nice. It works wonderfully as long as I turn off "Automatic Solve" before running the macro while in the sketch. If I turn it on, each arc somehow wants to connect to it's end, making lots of circles. For each circle I get the error message "The last operation produced invalid sketch geometry. Restoring previous sketch state".

Is anyone else seeing this? Mayhe it's an SP2 thing?

That was the error I was getting before. Perhaps you can add some code that temporarily turns it off during the conversion process?

I'm not sure why it's happening only to me.

Mike

Mike J. Wilson

No problem here (2003.5 and 2004.1) with "Automatic Solve" on

The code uses the "SetAddToDB" API which skips the automatic solve in all macros I made till now... Looks like SP2 really is a killer ;-)

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong...

*) Start new sketch *) Draw Spline using 'drag' method *) Don't exit the Spline command (button is still pressed) *) Run macro

If I exit the spline command or exit the sketch and go back in, then it works perfectly.

Guess I was too anxious!

Mike

Mike J. Wilson

oops... don't know how to detect that situation, so I can't handle it...

:-)

Why ? What application do you see for this macro ? Made a page on this :

Philippe Guglielmetti

I was thinking it might come in handy when I dissolve sketched text (so customer doesn't need to install special font). SolidWorks converts them to splines with a zillion points and maybe your macro could simplify the sketches so that the file size isn't so huge.

Right now I have to use the "Smooth" feature but it's not an easy process. I rarely have to do this though.

Mike

Mike J. Wilson

SCWHEEET! Thanks so much! I'll give it a go when I get a moment tonight.

I've got another related problem I know you can solve. I'll get some files together and what I need from them. I don't know what the demand would be for others, but if you can pull it off (I know you can), I'll for sure push the pay pal button!

Thanks again

did not really understand your request. please e-mail me more

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti