SP2 crashing badly

Upgraded to SP2 last night and everything seemed ok. This morning it is crashing on every load within 30 seconds and I can't do anything. Error message is "The instruction at 0x72831099 referenced memory at

0x000000004. The memory could not be read"

This is disasterous - I have to get a drawing out for a bid TODAY.

Any ideas?

bp

Reply to
floman

Did you turn of virus checker before upgrading?

Try a repair us> Upgraded to SP2 last night and everything seemed ok. This morning it is

Reply to
TOP

Have you tried renaming this registry key:

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Solidworks

This will set your SolidWorks back to default factory settings (you lose all your settings in other words, but you get to finish your work).

If you've never been in the registry, go to Start > Run > type Regedit. Just be sure not to touch (delete or rename) anything else. Find this key, right click on it and rename it to anything else. You can always restore it back later if you want.

When you start SolidWorks, it will think it's the first time it was started.

Hope this helps,

Steve O

PS - You can always uninstall SP2 in the Add/Remove Programs as well.

Reply to
SteveO

Here is an update after 3 hours of grief.

I chose to unload SP2 and go back to SP1.1 which I had on DVD. I left Cosmos and all the other updates alone. I'll 'fix' them later. However SP1.1 had the same problem and error message as SP2. So I unloaded SP1.1 and went back to SP0 from DVD. It works so far and I was able to send my drawing to the UK. Phew!

But now what? SP1.1 was working fine for the past three week on this new XPS M1710 Dell laptop, and then it gets the same error message about addressing memory as SP2. Could it be memory? But SP0 is fine!

I've called my VAR twice with no response. Not good.

bp

Reply to
floman

I would think I would want to try out some other quality memory (as it is fairly inexpensive), as bad memory, and/or the wrong spec memory does get into laptops and cause problems.

Sometimes the SDRAM memory chips need to be removed and carefully reseated (making sure all contacts are bright w/o damage).

Bo

floman wrote:

Reply to
Bo