Windows SP2

Hi,

I have searched the SolidWorks site looking for information on their position with regards to Windows XP SP2. To date I have yet to find any mention of this service pack and any issues relating to SolidWorks 2004 or

2005. I have got several machines here that have their update policy set to "automatic download and install", now I hear you all scream that this is a dangerous policy to follow and I agree, but this policy is the standard setting from Microsoft and is set as the default once SP2 is installed and users have changed to this policy to stop the nagging screens. On the positive side, with these machines I have had no day to day issues at all with SolidWorks or any other programs, except the ability to apply a service pack to SolidWorks 2004. Does any know of SolidWorks standpoint on SP2?

Regards Simon

Reply to
Simon Miller

This is posted on the Solidworks website:

8/27/04 Bulletin - Support for Win XP Pro SP2

SolidWorks will support Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 as of SolidWorks 2004 SP5 and SolidWorks 2005 SP1. It is not recommended that you update to this Windows service pack until the indicated SolidWorks service packs.

Reply to
Pete

SW will probably run on XP SP2 fine. But you will not be able to install a SP untill SP5 of SW04, or SP1.0 of SW05 is out.

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

Does that mean I cannot install SW2005 when the CD's get here?

Reply to
Simon Miller

Why don't you learn how to properly administer your boxen instead of whinging it?

Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Services --> Automatic Updates --> right mouse click --> Properties --> set Starup Type to disabled --> OK --> right click again --> Stop the service.

You will still be able to do updates manually without having to worry about Windows calling home to mommy Gates whenever it feels like it.

HTH HAND

Reply to
Black Dragon

I don't know about the CD's, but according to the site it says SP0. But I would hope that either they fix the Windows installer problem before the SP0.0 CD's are shipped or they send out more SP1.0 CD's when SP1.0 comes out.

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

I know how to stop the updates thanks, but so do users know how to turn them on. I run a small design consultancy, not an IT consultancy! I have not deviated from either MS policy or SW policy and I am now in a negative position. SolidWorks never directly informed me of the incompatibility issue and that's wrong in my opinion.

Reply to
Simon Miller

There is a tool posted on Microsoft's Web site that allows companies that have Automatic Update running on their machines to leave the feature on while temporarily blocking Service Pack 2 (SP2). We have not tested the tool.

I have got several machines here that have their update policy set to

Reply to
cadmgr2004

It works. It prompts the user with a list of updates and asks if it's ok to download and install. You have to be sure and uncheck the SP2 download. Once unchecked it remains that way until you check it.

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

Simon,

MS policy and SW policy are not complementary to each other, never have been.

Typically (and this goes for Pro-E and all the rest), O.S. updates can significantly affect (to the point of being unusable) the performance of highly complex software like Solidworks.

Incompatibilities are usually posted on the SW web site for this reason. If you allow your users to arbitrarily update the O.S.'s of your workstations you will never have anything but problems.

Like I said, this is true for ALL of the design systems out there, not just SW. MS makes changes and releases fixes and SP's WITHOUT consulting anyone. The software vendors have react to this and that takes some time.

So,, in a nutshell, screw MS policy. You make your living with SW, not with the O.S. version it's running on. You need to put a system in place to manage this. It doesn't have to be complicated, and it doesn't require an IT pro either.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

We get a steady stream of information from our VAR.. I'd be jumpping on them If it were me. Have installed SW4 sp 4.1 before XP sp2. All is well. Still waiting for the 5.0 cd from Solidworks..

jb..

Reply to
jb

So if I have this straight due to MS SP2 I should make sure (due to the WI conflicts) I should wait to install MS SP2 until I have SW 2005 SP1 installed on my machines? Or install SW2004 SP5 and make sure when going to SW 2005 have SP1 disks?

Ken Maren

Reply to
Ken Maren

For those of you using SW2003 still I talked to my VAR yesterday, as the company I am working at is using this version, he tells me that this version will not work and Solidworks has no plans to make it work on XP sp2.

Richard Morgan Morgdesign San Francisco, CA

Reply to
RICHARD MORGAN

by the way, SW2001 works fine in SP2

Reply to
Devin

"Will not work" or "SW won't guarantee that it will work" ???

big difference between the two

Reply to
Michael

I believe this is correct.

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

"Third base!!"

Richard Doyle

What problems are you experiencing?

SW2003 SP5.1 is working on WinXP SP2 but I have noticed periodic "slow loading" of moderately sized assemblies and we are trying to pin down the cause.

Thanks

Reply to
Lenny Kikstra