is swx going to work with xpsp2?

at the moment we *need* to install sp2 for xp, but i've read of problems of swx2004 with it. are there any news about fixes of this problem? any news about an sp5 that may fix those problems with parts and assemblies getting corrupted when saving with sp4.x (SPR230073 submitted a couple of months ago but we still haven't received any news about it)?

thank you in advance.

Reply to
Gianni Rondinini

For news about WinXP sp2, go to the SW web site and look at the tech bulletins. For news about particular issues being fixed, all we can look at is the SPR list on the subscription site.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

i'll do it. thank you.

regards,

Reply to
Gianni Rondinini

I think the issue with SW and XPSP2 is a problem with Windows Installer more than anything. At least that is what I have heard.

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

SolidWorks sent out the following bulletin:

8/27/04 Bulletin - Support for Win XP Pro SP2

SolidWorks will support Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2 as of SolidWorks

2004 SP5 and SolidWorks 2005 SP1. It is not recommended that you update to this Windows service pack until the indicated SolidWorks service packs.

Reply to
Jeff Parker

But given some of the issues with WinXP SP2, I am in no hurry to upgrade in the near future.

If it ain't broken...MicroSoft's fixes can do it.

Bo

Reply to
bozap

OK SOLIDWORKS, YOU CAN'T GET A NEW COMPUTER WITHOUT SP2 SO LETS GET IT INTO GEAR!

I really don't want to have to reinstall windows on a new machine just to get pre-SP2.

Reply to
Mike Z.

A lot of people aren't ready for SP2 yet. See if your system vendor can supply SP1.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Some people think National health care is going to work. If this isn't a lesson learned.....

You can build your own computer. Take control of your own destiny.

We've asked our IT department to hold back installing Win XP SP2 on machines running SolidWorks. Does anyone know if this also applies to machines that are only running SolidWorks Viewer and/or E-drawings? If so, does this apply for machines running viewer2004 and/or e-drawings2004 ,as well as 2005?

Thanks, Christine

Reply to
Christine

We've asked our IT department to hold back installing Win XP SP2 on machines running SolidWorks. Do we also need to apply this to machines that are only running SolidWorks Viewer and/or E-drawings? If so, does this apply for systems running viewer2004 and e-drawings2004, as well as 2005? TIA, Christine

Reply to
Christine

They tell me XP is only available in SP2 and I have to reinstall windows to go back.

Reply to
Mike Z.

Most people already use up all of their free time trying to do what they already have to do without screwing with building their own computers.

So, do you assemble your own cars? (man am I cranky today) Maybe I will take the day off and make my wife a blender, heck I got some old mower parts around, why not make it a gas powered one.

Reply to
Mike Z.

Hey, make sure you post the pictures of it when you are done. Sure would make a heck of a smoothie!

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Reply to
John Kimmel

Mike I sympathise. I am in the process of building a new machine, and moving from win2000 - But can I get hold of a genuine copy of win XP sp1 from any retailer - no !! they have only sp2 in stock. !! I have even tried out of the way computer shops hoping for old stock of boxed versions of xp sp1 - and I'm out in the sticks in Cornwall and they even have only sp2 available.

So I will build my machine and then wait for SW2005sp1 - and use my old machine that is getting sicker every day, - lets hope it lasts. It is like an old gundog - It wags its tail when I come in the morning and is eager to get going , but its poor old legs are getting very bad arthritis and it is cruel to ask it to do too much.

However how are VARs dealing with new sales? - Imagine a a potential new sale - and then the honest salesmen have to mention that 'sorry you can't use sw 2005 as it will not run on XPsp2- and we don't know when the problem will be fixed . I imagine quite a few new sales are now on hold or gone else where - so the cashflow for Sept Oct at VARS will be down this year. I can only hope this is a real insentive to sort out the problem whereever it is.

Regards

Jonathan Stedman

Reply to
jjs

Just built a computer with XP Home SP2 and 2004 works fine. Don't know about

Reply to
Rudy Kube

actually, assembling a car involves higher risks --i mean, risk of personal serious injury-- than assembling a workstation.

nowaday, often people says hp wks are the best --and, indeed, italian vars offer only those ones and swx has an agreement for prices with hp on their wks's--, but it's also true that today hp uses *perfectly* standard hardware: commercial video cards, commercial mother boards, commercial hard disks and so on. and paying a number of assembled workstations *40%* less than a "genuine" hp can make quite a difference. with the same --or longer-- warranty on the single parts.

regards,

Reply to
Gianni Rondinini

Cool, but you forgot the carrying case for $59.99. Must have!

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Do you know anyone with an XP sp1 CD? I'm not sure that would violate any licenses, since you have a valid one.

Reply to
Dale Dunn