part creation from scanned images?

I often create parts from cardboard cutout pieces provided by R&D. The shapes rarely contain many straight edges, are usually fairly irregular in nature, and not necessarily accurate.

Currently, I trace the parts onto some high accuracy graph paper, manually plot points along the perimeter, and create a spline with a reasonably close fit. I then create the part using a 1 to 1 print and the actual material to be used, then check fit. Most times small changes are made, some for funtionality and some for asthetics ( R&D doesn't care what it looks like, if it works ), then another prototype part is made.

When the shape is verified, I then create an identical part using tangent arcs/lines rather than splines. I do this because most machine tools ( mills, lasers, ect ), have an easier time processing arcs/lines rather than the many small line segments a spline produces when converted to NC code for most, but not all, machines. My vendors really appreciate this effort.

Rather than tracing/plotting I have had some limited sucess using a scanned .bmp at the proper scale inserted as an object and laying sketch points along the perimeter. Other formats don't work for me, some because I don't have the appropriate software installed to view them, and some, like jpegs, I can't seem to get an image to appear ( all I get is a small square box ). Scanned .bmps become massive in file size and cause a significant slowdown on my comp even though I have much more physical memory than is required.

Is there a better method of obtaining the needed points from a scanned image? If so, what format/software have you had the best luck with? Also, is there a macrom or small utilitym out there than can convert splines to tangent arcs/lines within a given accuracy? The manual conversion is a time consuming PITA.

SW 2005 sp3 win xp pro sp2 p4 3.06

1 gig ram ati fire gl t-2 128
Reply to
Brian

Hi Brian,

You should check out this web site.

Under SolidWorks tools they have a utility called "picture converter". It may help you out. Basically it converts image edges to SW sketch entities automatically.

Do you work for the Starting Line Products that produces aftermarket performance Snowmobile parts?

Reply to
Rock Guy

I do.

Reply to
Brian

Nice. I'm a huge snowmobile enthusiast. Rode Polaris for 14 years until they just stopped keeping up on technology. On a REV now. SLP makes some great products. I had no idea they used SolidWorks.

Reply to
Rock Guy

....snip

Wintopo should help here. It will convert a raster scan into vectors which you could import into a sketch. There's a free and a paid version.

Art W

Reply to
Art Woodbury

Reply to
John Kimmel

Thanks for the compliment, seems i must be doing at leat part of my job right . The only ski-doo that I've ridden ( was a 2000ish model ) had too high a center of mass in my opinion, and felt a bit unstable. But I'm sure they've corrected that by now.

I've already spent quite a bit on new software so rather than ask for the $600 for picture converter I'll use the freeware version of wintopo. At least it gets me points that I can use which negates the need to manually plot positions.

Reply to
Brian