PDMworks and backup's

This is something I have been struggling with a bit, all I have read has been saying back up the entire vault I would appriciate hearing anyones views of how they keep their vault backed up, especially efforts with incremental backing up of the vault instead of a full image each time.

Thanks, Ben

This is an idea i have in progress: mostly it involves archiving any earlier revisions once a major revision takes place (eg from PRE > DEV and from DEV > REL ) you archive all the revisions in between. Also any project which becomes inactive can be archived The archive is written to DVD once it reaches its quota and cataloged (anyone know of catalogue software for this?).

so eventually everything passes through the vault into the archive and gets burned onto DVDs. but what about the data when it is in the vault? One could back up the entire vault frequentlly but do you know how big those things get??

Reply to
Ben

I use Omega backup software, with three usb2 external drives. Omega allows unlimited file revisions, It is best to stop the vault when backing it up.

But you can back it up, whilst it is still running, it is just a bit slower.

I backup every two hours and then stop the vault at the end of the day and do a full system backup. At the end of the week I do another full system back up. using Ghost.

That way is something goes wrong, it is very easy to reset the machine to how it was.

This takes some discipline, but like brushing your teeth, you get used to it, lol

Some would say a bit of overkill, but lessons learnt, is all I can say.

Reply to
pete